walla mail

krivweb

Jul 7, 2004, 12:42:41 PM7/7/04
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
JERUSALEM, July 7 (Reuters) - Israel's Walla Communications (WALA.TA:
Quote, Profile, Research) on Wednesday launched a global one gigabyte
free e-mail service, beating Google to the market in the race towards
virtually limitless mail space.
Walla last week began offering the service in Israel, where it has some
one million users, but has now opened the service globally at its
website: www.walla.com.

Competition in the free e-mail market has heated up of late. Search
engine Google is planning G-mail, a free one gigabyte service, which is
currently in the testing phase.

Yahoo (YHOO.O: Quote, Profile, Research) recently raised its free
e-mail storage space to 100 megabytes from four megabytes, although
customers can pay $20 a year for two gigabytes of space. Indian portal
Rediff (REDF.O: Quote, Profile, Research) in late June began offering a
free gigabyte of memory.

Microsoft (MSFT.O: Quote, Profile, Research) is currently in the
process of upgrading its Hotmail service.

Walla's free service, which includes an anti-virus application, will be
paid for by advertisements although users can pay $15 a year for an
ad-free service.

Walla said users will be able to save some 40,000 e-mails, 2,000 photos
and 50, one-minute video clips, as well as being able to send file
attachments of up to 30 megabytes.
© Reuters 2004. All Rights Reserved.

Isaac Hummel

Jul 7, 2004, 1:12:58 PM7/7/04
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Lots and lots of different companies are getting into the gigabyte
email market thanks to Gmail. This, of course, means that Gmail can't
use storage space as its only draw, or even as its main draw, since a
whole slew of outfits are offering giga-storage now; Gmail's selling
points are its interface, based on conversations, searching, labeling
and archiving rather than on folders and filing. Others may offer
giga-storage, but Gmail is the only mail service (that I know of) that
is specifically designed to help you manage enormous amounts of email
with maximum ease.

Kendel

Jul 7, 2004, 1:17:23 PM7/7/04
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
The interface is the selling point for me. I much prefer this
labelling thing over Ye Olde Folderes.

Sri Kat

Jul 7, 2004, 6:03:31 PM7/7/04
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Thanks krivweb for the info. This is useful for me because one of my
site's MySQL db backup > 10 MB and I've it set such that it's
automatically e-mailed to me once a day. I was looking for a free
e-mail service that allows > 10 MB attachments.

--
http://sridhar.f2o.org/ | http://www.furl.net/members/srikat |
http://srilinx.blogspot.com/

Kendel

Jul 7, 2004, 6:23:35 PM7/7/04
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I used to hate being limited to 10meg files.

Then I found dropload.com ( http://www.dropload.com/ ).

/blatant plug

Rodolfo Pilas

Jul 7, 2004, 9:06:04 PM7/7/04
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I have signed up and tested walla.com. Unfortunatly the webmail have
many problems nither Mozilla nor Konqueror:
* I can not send e-mail because "send" button do not works.
* I can not write my own signature because edit signature do not works.

On Wed, 7 Jul 2004 18:03:31 -0400, Sri Kat <neo...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
Rodolfo Pilas
(Ysidoro con 'Y')

Sri Kat

Jul 7, 2004, 9:18:00 PM7/7/04
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
how about 1 GB files themselves?

http://yousendit.com

But these do not count here. We are talking about e-mail.

Ryan

Jul 7, 2004, 9:28:02 PM7/7/04
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Wrong! We're talking about something much better. We're talking about Gmail! ;)

Kendel

Jul 7, 2004, 10:20:50 PM7/7/04
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the link, Sri. If I ever need to send a 1 gig file (a CD
image? holy crap, who needs to lug around 1-gig files?) I am there.

Thanks.

glebarr

Jul 12, 2004, 2:26:35 PM7/12/04
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
this walla service works fine but, doesn't have enough features to
appeal to me...