Desktop Shortcuts to different gmail account

Giumbolo

Feb 8, 2005, 4:12:30 AM2/8/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Is it possible create desktop shortcut filled with account and password
information to switch easily from a gmail account to another?

Giumbolo

Greg Ritter

Feb 8, 2005, 11:45:38 AM2/8/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Not likely. Gmail uses Javascript components to manage sign out and
log in. It would be difficult, if not impossible, to replicate that in
a shortcut.

Flavio

Feb 15, 2005, 2:15:56 PM2/15/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
You can do that if you use two different browsers: like Opera and
Firefox, each one for a different account.

Chris Morison

Feb 17, 2005, 9:39:03 AM2/17/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Actually, if you use Firefox you could set up two different profiles,
and create two shortcuts each specifying one of the profiles like
this:

"C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -p profilename

(to create a new profile use the -p switch with no profile name)

Then click on one shortcut, log into gmail and ask for password to be
remembered for 2 weeks. Close Firefox (don't log out), click on other
shortcut and sign into the other account. Now each shortcut will
automatically log you into a different account. You may want to set
the homepage for each profile to gmail.google.com

Unfortunately you can not run both profiles at the same time, and each
profile will have completely separate preferences, extensions,
cookies, etc.

I've just tried this and it works well!

Ludwik

Feb 22, 2005, 8:18:09 PM2/22/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
?! You can use URLs like this:
https://www.google.com/accounts/ServiceLoginAuth?continue=http://gmail.google.com/gmail&service=mail&Email=[YOUR_USERNAME]&Passwd=[YOUR_PASSWORD]

"[YOUR_USERNAME]" is your username and "[YOUR_PASSWORD]" is your
password ;)

Don

Feb 23, 2005, 8:49:34 AM2/23/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for posting this! I have two Gmail accounts and it will be very
useful.

I am, however having a rather strange problem...

On the account I use the least, the url works perfect. On the one I use the
most I get a "username and password do not match" error message. The
username is correct and the password is correct. If I cut and paste the
password from the url into the signin box it works. If I click the
shortcut, it doesn't.

I have tried deleting cookies and clearing the cache and making sure I was
logged out on the one account before closing the window and trying the
other.

I have also gone over the urls to be sure the only difference is the ID and
password.... no spaces in the wrong places and double triple checked the
password and ID that is not working.

I cut and pasted the url you provided into Notepad twice, edited them with
my ID and password, then created a shortcut, cut and pasted the url into the
location and finished.

Now I have tried the url so many times Gmail is requesting I enter the
random generated letters into the space provided to confirm I am not a
robot. I do that and it goes right back to the confirmation screen with
another set of letters to enter. Over and over and over again. My other
account still works fine.

Any ideas?

Don

Do YOU want a gmail account invitation? Include your email address in the
body of a private message to dsw3...@gmail.com

Ludwik Trammer

Feb 23, 2005, 12:28:27 PM2/23/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
> Now I have tried the url so many times Gmail is requesting I enter the
> random generated letters into the space provided to confirm I am not a
> robot. I do that and it goes right back to the confirmation screen with
> another set of letters to enter.

Maybe this? You can't log in because you don't send this letters in "my" URLs...

Ludwik

---
Sorry, I have to polish my English

Don

Feb 23, 2005, 1:16:09 PM2/23/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
No, that's not the problem. The problem existed before the first time I
tried the url. At that time the confirmation was not required. Also, the
second shortcut, for my less used account works perfect.

Don

Do YOU want a gmail account invitation? Include your email address in the
body of a private message to dsw3...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2005, 4:58:32 PM2/23/05
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
I fixed the problem. I reset the password. That does not explain why the
POP email continued to work when the webmail wouldn't, but I'm not going to
quibble as long as the problem is fixed.

Thanks again for the shortcut url!