How to delete large numbers of email in Gmail Chrome?

Robert

Dec 27, 2011, 10:38:16 AM12/27/11
to Gmail-Users
My email reader is the standard interface in Google Chrome. The
process to delete email from my inbox is limited to small chunks of
email, 20 at a time.

How can I delete hundreds or even thousands of emails at a time?

For example, I want to filter on a particular sender and delete all of
those hundreds of emails; however, I see no way to do so in the
standard Gmail Chrome interface.

I would rather not use MS Outlook, but am willing to listen to
arguments for using it.

Would appreciate some words of wisdom.

Robin

Zack (Doc)

Dec 28, 2011, 12:03:54 AM12/28/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
You can go through the process of creating a filter (like this: http://goo.gl/kLvJg) and have the option set to delete messages.  Then you can use the "apply to all messages" option to get them all taken care of.

Andy

Dec 28, 2011, 12:10:00 AM12/28/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
> How can I delete hundreds or even thousands of emails at a time?

I don't think it matters which browser you use to do this, but it
works in Chrome.

When you have all the messages (and only the messages) you want to be
deleted, click the check-box near the upper left of the list that
selects all of them. Yes, this selects only the 20 that are on-screen
at the moment. But just above the first message, there will also be a
question/link to apply your selection to all the messages, not only
those on-screen. Click on that. Now click the Delete button, and
click yes when it asks you to confirm.

Andy

Bill Matthews

Jul 30, 2013, 12:40:53 AM7/30/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com, ai.e...@gmail.com
Andy,

I don't see anything like this you are talking about:  "But just above the first message, there will also be a

question/link to apply your selection to all the messages, not only
those on-screen.  Click on that.  Now click the Delete button, and
click yes when it asks you to confirm."
 Are we talking about Gmail?

Thanks, but I don't follow you
Bill

On Wednesday, December 28, 2011 12:10:00 AM UTC-5, Andy wrote:
> How can I delete hundreds or even thousands of emails at a time?

I don't think it matters which browser you use to do this, but it
works in Chrome.

When you have all the messages (and only the messages) you want to be
deleted, click the check-box near the upper left of the list that
selects all of them.  Yes, this selects only the 20 that are on-screen
at the moment.

Andy

Zack (Doc)

Jul 30, 2013, 6:29:24 AM7/30/13
to Gmail-Users Google Group
Yes, he is, and here's GMail's own help center article talking about it as well: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/35088?hl=en

Marko Vukovic

Jul 30, 2013, 6:38:52 AM7/30/13
to gmail-users

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 12:29 PM, Zack (Doc) <za...@tnan.net> wrote:
Yes, he is, and here's GMail's own help center article talking about it as well: https://support.google.com/mail/answer/35088?hl=en

Just noticed, I don't seem to have the Select all [number] conversations in [current view] link any more when selecting all.

--
Marko

Kenneth Ayers

Jul 30, 2013, 8:59:22 AM7/30/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I'm still getting the

All 100 conversations on this page are selected. Select all 1,826 conversations in "Groups/Gmail-Users"

where the Select All sentence is a link to select them all.

Marko Vukovic

Jul 30, 2013, 9:06:08 AM7/30/13
to gmail-users

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 2:59 PM, Kenneth Ayers <justk...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm still getting the

All 100 conversations on this page are selected. Select all 1,826 conversations in "Groups/Gmail-Users"

where the Select All sentence is a link to select them all.

Ok it doesn't seem to work in any of the tabs, not even 'Primary'. If I turn off the tabs then the link appears.

It still works from within a label as you say Kenneth.

--
Marko

Kenneth Ayers

Jul 30, 2013, 11:01:47 AM7/30/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Marko,

Are you talking about the Inbox category tabs?

I don't have enough conversations in any of those tabs to test it.  But when I view one of the categories from the left sidebar and select all there, I get the same sort of message with a link to really select them all.  But when viewing the categories from the sidebar, you're getting more than just those that are still in the inbox.

Kenneth

Andy

Jul 30, 2013, 2:43:27 PM7/30/13
to [Gmail-Users]
Keep in mind that the "Select all 5,432 conversations in ..." thing, does not appear until after you click the check-box in the upper left corner to Select All.

Andy

Marko Vukovic

Jul 30, 2013, 8:36:46 PM7/30/13
to gmail-users

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 5:01 PM, Kenneth Ayers <justk...@gmail.com> wrote:
Are you talking about the Inbox category tabs?

I don't have enough conversations in any of those tabs to test it.  But when I view one of the categories from the left sidebar and select all there, I get the same sort of message with a link to really select them all.  But when viewing the categories from the sidebar, you're getting more than just those that are still in the inbox.

Yes Kenneth I'm talking about the new categories ie. Primary, Social, Promotions, Updates, Forums.

What do you mean 'left sidebar'? Are you talking about labels? I've already established that it works from the label view.

--
Marko

Marko Vukovic

Jul 30, 2013, 8:39:20 PM7/30/13
to gmail-users

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 8:43 PM, Andy <AI.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
Keep in mind that the "Select all 5,432 conversations in ..." thing, does not appear until after you click the check-box in the upper left corner to Select All.

Thanks Andy, see highlghted.

Just noticed, I don't seem to have the Select all [number] conversations in [current view] link any more when selecting all.

--
Marko

Bill Matthews

Jul 30, 2013, 1:14:36 PM7/30/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
That doesn't help me either. That has nothing to do that I can see with deleting a large number of messages at one time.

The FairTax--Once you understand it, you will demand it! To see what's in it for you go to www.fairtax.org and www.fairtaxnation.com

Bill Matthews

Jul 30, 2013, 3:08:50 PM7/30/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Andy
It doesn't appear even after I check that "Select All" box. Where are you getting that?

Bill

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 2:43 PM, Andy <AI.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
Keep in mind that the "Select all 5,432 conversations in ..." thing, does not appear until after you click the check-box in the upper left corner to Select All.

Andy

Andy

Jul 31, 2013, 1:42:32 AM7/31/13
to [Gmail-Users]
On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Bill Matthews <bmmo...@gmail.com> wrote:

Andy
It doesn't appear even after I check that "Select All" box. Where are you getting that?

In Gmail, one line above the first conversation.  See attached.

See the other replies about different versions of the Inbox, which may affect it.

Andy

Select_all.png

Andy

Jul 31, 2013, 1:46:20 AM7/31/13
to [Gmail-Users]
That has nothing to do that I can see with deleting a large number of messages at one time.

Yes it does.  In order to delete a large number of messages at one time, you need to mark them first.  The Help page tells you how to mark all of the selected messages (all messages in a label, or from a search).

Andy

Marko Vukovic

Jul 31, 2013, 5:24:12 AM7/31/13
to gmail-users

On Wed, Jul 31, 2013 at 7:42 AM, Andy <AI.e...@gmail.com> wrote:

Andy
It doesn't appear even after I check that "Select All" box. Where are you getting that?

In Gmail, one line above the first conversation.  See attached.

See the other replies about different versions of the Inbox, which may affect it.

Yup that's the problem, here you can see that I have the 'Select all' checkbox checked within the 'Forums' tab but the link does not appear. If, however I click on my [Gmail-Users] label and then select all, then it does appear.

Inline image 1

--
Marko
image.png

Wagner Oliver

Mar 27, 2014, 4:44:42 AM3/27/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com, rdugg...@gmail.com
1) Search your Gmail using this function (example): after:2010/1/1 before:2014/1/1
2) Select all.
3) Check the notification: "All 20 conversations on this page are selected. Select all conversations that match this search"
4) Click on: "Select all conversations that match this search"
5) Delete all messages
6) Go to trash. Select all. Click on: "Select all conversations"
7) Click "Delete forever".

BTW: Before you delete a large number of messages you can create a backup (and download it and burn it on a DVD) using this link: https://www.google.com/settings/takeout