Number on Icon

DEP/dodo

Apr 8, 2011, 11:10:51 PM4/8/11
to Gmail Users
Hi yet again!  I'm wondering what this is since I only recently (a few days now) have noticed it.

Have I mentioned lately how much I appreciate this group?  I may disappear for months at a time, but you're always there when I need you.  Of course, when I do come back, I make up for all that lost time!   Dodo

360.gif
mystery number.jpg

Zack (Doc)

Apr 8, 2011, 11:37:56 PM4/8/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
You must have enabled this lab <http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/new-in-labs-unread-message-icon.html> and failed to remember it.  Then made the icon.

On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 23:10, DEP/dodo <depf...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi yet again!  I'm wondering what this is since I only recently (a few days now) have noticed it.

Have I mentioned lately how much I appreciate this group?  I may disappear for months at a time, but you're always there when I need you.  Of course, when I do come back, I make up for all that lost time!   Dodo

360.gif

DEP/dodo

Apr 9, 2011, 2:32:10 AM4/9/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
You are  correct, Doc, at least to an extent.  I checked and do have that lab enabled.  However, as you saw, the number "1" was on the icon in the Taskbar, and I had a lot more than one!  Also, as I said, I only recently noticed that "1" within the icon, and I did not enable the lab in the same recent span of time.  It was sufficiently long ago to forget I had enabled it.  Further, how did I "make" the icon?  ~Dodo

Marko Vukovic

Apr 9, 2011, 10:08:50 AM4/9/11
to gmail-users
On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 5:37 AM, Zack (Doc) <za...@tnan.net> wrote:
You must have enabled this lab <http://gmailblog.blogspot.com/2011/01/new-in-labs-unread-message-icon.html> and failed to remember it.  Then made the icon.

That's strange. I have that lab enabled but have never seen the number appear on the desktop or taskbar icon. AFAIK it only appears on the tab in the browser.

--
Marko

Marko Vukovic

Apr 9, 2011, 10:11:13 AM4/9/11
to gmail-users
On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 8:32 AM, DEP/dodo <depf...@gmail.com> wrote:
You are  correct, Doc, at least to an extent.  I checked and do have that lab enabled.  However, as you saw, the number "1" was on the icon in the Taskbar, and I had a lot more than one!  Also, as I said, I only recently noticed that "1" within the icon, and I did not enable the lab in the same recent span of time.  It was sufficiently long ago to forget I had enabled it.  Further, how did I "make" the icon?  ~Dodo

Hi D

You probably created the icon when you turned on Offline and it asked you, or you clicked on Settings->Offline->Other options: create a desktop shortcut.

--
Marko

Zack (Doc)

Apr 9, 2011, 1:29:57 PM4/9/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
That's one way, the other way (that I've usually done) is when selecting in Chrome to make an application shortcut.  Either way will take the icon displayed in your tab/favicon and make it into a system icon.  She likely had 1 unread message at that point, hence the icon has the 1.  Mine has a 0 right now, and it's fixed, does not update as the tab icon does.

DEP/dodo

Apr 10, 2011, 2:19:40 AM4/10/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
That's what I was saying, Marko:  I had not noticed the number before in the Taskbar icon..  (Incidentally, it was "1" before, albeit inaccurately, and now is a "7."  The number to the right of my Priority Inbox is "6.")

DEP/dodo

Apr 10, 2011, 2:27:01 AM4/10/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Bingo!  That must be it because I did opt for the desktop shortcut, which I also then dragged to the Taskbar.  That somehow must have triggered that same option in Labs to be marked as enabled.  Incidentally, the illustration in Labs shows the icon to be at the top of the Gmail window (I think).

Marko Vukovic

Apr 10, 2011, 5:14:10 PM4/10/11
to gmail-users
On Sat, Apr 9, 2011 at 7:29 PM, Zack (Doc) <za...@tnan.net> wrote:
That's one way, the other way (that I've usually done) is when selecting in Chrome to make an application shortcut.  Either way will take the icon displayed in your tab/favicon and make it into a system icon.  She likely had 1 unread message at that point, hence the icon has the 1.  Mine has a 0 right now, and it's fixed, does not update as the tab icon does.

Hi Doc

I have never seen a number appear on the shortcut icon, only on the Gmail tab or window favicon. Chrome does not use the favicon for the Gmail system icon, it uses a higher resolution icon at this URL: https://mail.google.com/mail/images/2/mail_icon_32.png

--
Marko

Zack (Doc)

Apr 10, 2011, 8:24:27 PM4/10/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Well, I may have my terms wrong about favicon; I'm just stating from personal experience... count lab turned on... used Chrome's "Create Application" menu item... Icon had the current unread count on it... doesn't change as it's now a static icon on my computer.

--
Marko

Marko Vukovic

Apr 11, 2011, 4:37:24 AM4/11/11
to gmail-users
On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 2:24 AM, Zack (Doc) <za...@tnan.net> wrote:
Well, I may have my terms wrong about favicon; I'm just stating from personal experience... count lab turned on... used Chrome's "Create Application" menu item... Icon had the current unread count on it... doesn't change as it's now a static icon on my computer.

Interesting. What I'm guessing is that the lab physically changes the actual favicon image periodically to reflect that unread count, and every time Gmail refreshes, that image is also refreshed. When you then use the 'Create application shortcuts' tool, the shortcut icon is created with that current favicon image, and that remains static forever.
Try create the shortcut through the link on the Offline setting page instead, it should then use the higher resolution image, ie. http://mail.google.com/mail/images/2/mail_icon_32.png
I'm not yet sure why the difference, but that seems to be it.

Regards
--
Marko

JohnW

Apr 11, 2011, 12:22:13 PM4/11/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Diana, does your icon look like it does on this screenshot?

DEP/dodo

Apr 12, 2011, 1:03:44 AM4/12/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
John, I included my own screenshot in my initial post on this topic dated April 8.  For your convenience, I will attach it again.  The number on the icon remains a 7, which is what it has been except for that first post.  However, there now actually are 4 unopened messages in my Priority Inbox, and this also is stated next to the words Priority Inbox "(4)."

On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 9:22 AM, JohnW <john.w...@gmail.com> wrote:
Diana, does your icon look like it does on this screenshot?

mystery number.jpg

Marko Vukovic

Apr 12, 2011, 11:12:57 AM4/12/11
to gmail-users
On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 7:03 AM, DEP/dodo <depf...@gmail.com> wrote:
John, I included my own screenshot in my initial post on this topic dated April 8.  For your convenience, I will attach it again.  The number on the icon remains a 7, which is what it has been except for that first post.  However, there now actually are 4 unopened messages in my Priority Inbox, and this also is stated next to the words Priority Inbox "(4)."

Hi D

The unread count lab modifies the favicon, which is this little icon: https://mail.google.com/mail/images/favicon.ico
When you create the shortcut for your Gmail, the favicon image is used as the shortcut icon, which happened to be at the time you had an unread count of 7.
Gmail includes some code in the interface HTML which points to this image https://mail.google.com/mail/images/2/mail_icon_32.png and if you create the Gmail shortcut by going to Settings->Offline and clicking on 'create a desktop shortcut' under 'Other options' then it should use this latter, higher res. image.

Does that make sense?
--
Marko

DEP/dodo

Apr 12, 2011, 2:05:46 PM4/12/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Hi D

The unread count lab modifies the favicon, which is this little icon: https://mail.google.com/mail/images/favicon.ico
When you create the shortcut for your Gmail, the favicon image is used as the shortcut icon, which happened to be at the time you had an unread count of 7.
Gmail includes some code in the interface HTML which points to this image https://mail.google.com/mail/images/2/mail_icon_32.png and if you create the Gmail shortcut by going to Settings->Offline and clicking on 'create a desktop shortcut' under 'Other options' then it should use this latter, higher res. image.

Does that make sense?  Most of it.  However, we are talking here about what's going on on the desktop.  I have offline only on the laptop.  There, I did create the Gmail shortcut exactly as you described, and that "favicon" has no numeral!  ~D.

Marko Vukovic

Apr 12, 2011, 3:10:41 PM4/12/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Does that make sense?  Most of it.  However, we are talking here about what's going on on the desktop.  I have offline only on the laptop.  There, I did create the Gmail shortcut exactly as you described, and that "favicon" has no numeral!  ~D.

Ok, download the attached file (mail_icon_32.ico) then right-click your Gmail shortcut and select Properties. Now click the 'Change Icon' button. Click 'Browse...' and browse to the aforementioned .ico file. Click 'Open', then 'OK' and 'OK' and your shortcut should now have the new icon.

Regards
--
Marko
mail_icon_32.ico

Marko Vukovic

Apr 12, 2011, 3:46:11 PM4/12/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 8:10 PM, Marko Vukovic <marko....@gmail.com> wrote:
Does that make sense?  Most of it.  However, we are talking here about what's going on on the desktop.  I have offline only on the laptop.  There, I did create the Gmail shortcut exactly as you described, and that "favicon" has no numeral!  ~D.

I just noticed that in Chrome, even if Offline is not enabled the 'create a desktop shortcut' link in Settings->Offline is available. This shortcut is the same whether or not Offline is enabled for any particular computer.

Regards
--
Marko

DEP/dodo

Apr 13, 2011, 1:55:53 AM4/13/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Clear instructions if you meant for me to right-click the Gmail shortcut icon down in the Taskbar.  But they didn't work.  I got as far as the screenshot shows.

ico file.jpg

DEP/dodo

Apr 13, 2011, 2:26:10 AM4/13/11
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
And I just saw this message from you, Marko.  I now have the icon envelope in place on the Desktop and the Taskbar, as before, but without any numeral!  I was just going to live with it--didn't know what else to do--but now it's how it used to be.  I wonder what caused the number to mysteriously appear.

Thank you, Marko!