Initial G-Mail user ID & Password

texy

Jun 4, 2010, 10:36:22 AM6/4/10
to Gmail-Users
Fellow Group Members:

I have been reading Horror Stories of G-Mail Users who have been
locked out of their G-Mail Accounts, and Feedback saying they should
have kept the Initial Printout from G-Mail when they first opened
their G-Mail Account.

Although I have used G-Mail for several years, fortunately I have
never been Locked Out; however,
I too did not make a Copy of my Initial e-mail from Google, which I
understand now was "Stupid".

Is there anything I can do at this point to obtain that information
from G-Mail, even though I have No Problems, Currently?

Please advise.
Thank You.
Texy

Sarah Hill

Jun 4, 2010, 3:05:05 PM6/4/10
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
If you deleted it, no, there is no way of getting it back, or of recovering the verification code.
If you did not delete it, then it will still be in "all mail", the oldest or second message. If you signed up from an invitation that was sent to another e-mail account, then the verification e-mail may have been sent to that account, so check there if relevant.

There are some things you can do, so you are prepared -  if the worst happens & you do get locked out of your account, in order to prove you are the account holder & retrieve your account, you may have to fill in the "Account Recovery Form"
Many people find they are unable to provide accurate enough information - and did not know what information they might need to supply, and then, when they need it,  the only source of that information is their gmail account, that they can't access...
Have a look at the form, and work out what information you ned to know about how & when you use your account. Then make sure you have this information saved somewhere safe.
You can view the Form here; you will see a form asking "Did this work?" Click "No" and the account recovery form will asppear: https://www.google.com/support/accounts/bin/request.py?ara=1&hl=en&contact_type=ara&ctx=ara

If you do not download gmail, and only view it online, it can be useful to make a copy of all registration e-mails, and save them as text (or other) files, so you have a copy if you lose access to your e-mail.
Using gmail "offline" can give you access to your e-mails and contacts (offline), even if you are locked out of your account.
Sarah

JohnW

Jun 4, 2010, 2:14:58 PM6/4/10
to Gmail-Users
Unfortunately, no. There's no way to get that information issued
again.
All you can do is to make sure that your Secondary (Recovery) address
is current, that you can correctly answer the Security question you
supplied (NOT the one they can prompt you for!), that you provide a
mobile number so Google can send you the Reset code for your account
and so they can tell you if someone else is trying to reset the
password on your account!
But the most important factor is to make sure your Gmail password is
totally unique (to Gmail) - so the perps are not going to be able to
try your Facebook password on your Gmail address and get in!! If they
can't get in, then you'll not need to do anything.
It's also wise to make sure your password is strong enough that the
hackers can't crack it easily.
Always be careful if you occasionally log in from a PC that you don't
personally control, that you make sure all cookies/temporary files are
deleted off the computer when you close. If you're planning to go
abroad and use an Internet Cafe or two, then try to use a different
password (use a phrase without spaces and with numbers if you can -
makes it slightly easier to remember!) so that once you get home you
can reset to your old secure password.
If you feel very vulnerable, you can always use Google Backup to copy
your messages to a store of your own, and Export a copy of your
Contacts data to said store for safety. Then if the very worst
happens, you can restore all the messages and Contacts and be back
where you were!
Hope this helps ease the mind a little!!

james moses

Jun 4, 2010, 9:38:38 PM6/4/10
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Your mobile no ples

On 6/5/10, Sarah Hill <mail...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]

> can give you access to your e-mails and contacts (offline), even if you are
> locked out of your account.
> Sarah
>
> On Fri, Jun 4, 2010 at 3:36 PM, texy <tex...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Fellow Group Members:
>>
>> I have been reading Horror Stories of G-Mail Users who have been
>> locked out of their G-Mail Accounts, and Feedback saying they should
>> have kept the Initial Printout from G-Mail when they first opened
>> their G-Mail Account.
>>
>> Although I have used G-Mail for several years, fortunately I have
>> never been Locked Out; however,
>> I too did not make a Copy of my Initial e-mail from Google, which I
>> understand now was "Stupid".
>>
>> Is there anything I can do at this point to obtain that information
>> from G-Mail, even though I have No Problems, Currently?

Sent from my mobile device