cc/bcc

dodo

Feb 6, 2008, 3:16:31 AM2/6/08
to Gmail-Users
II notice there is no way to check the boxes in my contact list and
designate Contact A to be cc'd and Contact B to be bcc'd, for
example. Is the only way to designate recipients in these
"categories" by auto-complete? That would mean I'd have to virtually
memorize all my Contacts to know which to start addressing in the "cc"
area and which for the "bcc" box. Before anyone suggests clicking on
"All," I may not want to send everyone that particular message but
only selected contacts. Any suggestions/ideas?

Zack (Doc)

Feb 6, 2008, 7:14:27 AM2/6/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Use contact lists to put together common groups, those use
auto-complete as well. This will help you retrieve multiple people in
a hurry.

You don't have to memorize your contact list. When in an address
field I hit "a" and I get every contact that starts with a. I can
then select the one I want, or type more letters to narrow it. I
know, in a general sense, who is all in my contact list. Whenever I
clean out my contact list (every 2 months or so) if I don't recognize
who the person is, I delete them.

dodo

Feb 7, 2008, 4:31:04 AM2/7/08
to Gmail-Users
No, that is too time-consuming to go through the alphabet for each
address field. Also, "common groups" wouldn't work for me. My other
e-mail account (in Yahoo!) allows me to select from my entire contact
list whom I want to go into each address field. It's fast and
efficient. The "powers that be" at Gmail should look into it.

On Feb 6, 4:14 am, "Zack (Doc)" <z...@tnan.net> wrote:
> Use contact lists to put together common groups, those use
> auto-complete as well. This will help you retrieve multiple people in
> a hurry.
>
> You don't have to memorize your contact list. When in an address
> field I hit "a" and I get every contact that starts with a. I can
> then select the one I want, or type more letters to narrow it. I
> know, in a general sense, who is all in my contact list. Whenever I
> clean out my contact list (every 2 months or so) if I don't recognize
> who the person is, I delete them.

nick...@gmail.com

Feb 7, 2008, 9:14:28 AM2/7/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
I think you are misunderstanding.  Using autocomplete, you can type as much as want of the contact you want to add.  For example, if I wanted to send you an email, I could type "dod" and your name would pop up.  I probably could stop at "do", it all depends on how many people in my contact list have "do" in their name.  I posted this in a similar thread in this group before:

When you think of sending someone an email, just start typing that person's name or email address...Whether you are using a list or autocomplete, you still have to think of who you want to send the email to.  The difference is that with autocomplete, as soon as you think of the person you can almost instantly add them.

Imagine you have hundreds of contacts.  You are writing an email for Ashley Anyname.  Since contacts are listed alphabetically, she would be somewhere near the top of the list.  Now as you are adding her, you think that Wendy Lastname would also like to read this.  This causes you to have to scroll though possibly hundreds of people to get to the Ws of your contacts.  But now, while you are scrolling for Wendy, you realize that Brett Othername would benefit from this email as well.  So now, you have to go from the Ws and scroll all the way up to the Bs...  However, with autocomplete, you would type "ashl [enter] wen [enter] bre [enter]" and have all three of them receiving the email probably in less time that it would have taken to first find Ashley in the list.  Of course, that is an extreme example, but I'm sure that there are some people that this scenario is true with.

With autocomplete, the only scrolling or selecting you have to do is if you have more than one contact with the same first name.  But in that case you could use their email address...

dodo

Feb 7, 2008, 11:49:36 PM2/7/08
to Gmail-Users
No, I didn't misunderstand, Nick. I am very familiar with
autocomplete. You got closer to my objection when you wrote "you
still have to think of who you want to send the email to." That's why
I made my comment about having to memorize my contacts list. There's
always someone I forget to include; however, with Yahoo! mail, I can
look at my entire list and select each contact I wish to include in
each address field. It's quick and accurate. I have concluded that
if I want to send to a lot of contacts, but not all, then I'll have to
use Yahoo!.

bkennelly

Feb 8, 2008, 12:23:34 PM2/8/08
to Gmail-Users
A (less than ideal) workaround is to select the contacts for BCC as
TO, then select them all and drag and drop them in the BCC box.
Similarly for CC, then finally TO.
Have you looked for this feature in any of the many Gmail scripts that
are available?
Message has been deleted

vicki

Feb 8, 2008, 11:31:09 PM2/8/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Here is the way i do this. I go up to my box for the designated address to go into. If the persons name or email starts with a "K" I  type in the letter. Then i get a list underneath my box of those people, I click on the one i want, and it goes to my box. If i have a "d" letter, i hit d. And, same as above happens, I dont add comas between each address, it does that for me. Im sorry if im way off track of helping you with this. Things were a little confusing in all the email posts. Hope this helped a little. One more thing, I do have an outlook ex. account. I typed a letter in the address bar to send to 1 person, When i hit send, it went to all of my contacts. Lovely. Dont use it that often, so im not trying to adjust.

On Feb 8, 2008 9:52 PM, dodo <DEPf...@gmail.com> wrote:

Do you mean select them from the Contact List (rather than use auto-
complete as Nick had suggested), then move them to the "cc" or "bcc"
boxes as you described (although I don't think they can be dragged
but, rather, moved and pasted or some such)?  That's a possibility--
cumbersome, but a possibility.  Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll think
about that.

Diane Pfahler

Feb 9, 2008, 2:35:57 AM2/9/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that's auto-complete aka auto-address.  As I've mentioned, that means I have to know my contact list pretty well to make sure I remember everyone I want to send a particular e-mail to and proceed to type in a letter or two of their name or e-mail address.  I much prefer the Yahoo! method of selecting from a list of all my contacts for each address bar (To, cc, bcc).  You mentioned that an e-mail you intended for one person actually went to all your contacts--how did that happen?!  Not good!

Honolulu Wahine

Feb 9, 2008, 11:44:23 AM2/9/08
to Gmail-Users
Aloha,

I've had similar frustration with using gmail to create an email and
at the same time view my contacts. Here is my 'workaround':

Open an email to compose.
Click on the little arrow box (New Window) at the top right corner.
It moves to a new window. Minimize the blank email, then click on
Contacts. You can view both of these open windows by using the Tile
Vertically feature (right-click on a blank space on the bar at the
bottom of the screen, select Tile Vertically, and the windows will
appear side-by-side). Cumbersome again, but works for me.

Aloha

On Feb 8, 9:35 pm, "Diane Pfahler" <depfah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, that's auto-complete aka auto-address.  As I've mentioned, that means I
> have to know my contact list pretty well to make sure I remember everyone I
> want to send a particular e-mail to and proceed to type in a letter or two
> of their name or e-mail address.  I much prefer the Yahoo! method of
> selecting from a list of all my contacts for each address bar (To, cc,
> bcc).  You mentioned that an e-mail you intended for one person actually
> went to all your contacts--how did *that* happen?!  Not good!
>
> On Feb 8, 2008 8:31 PM, vicki <mybalian...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Here is the way i do this. I go up to my box for the designated address to
> > go into. If the persons name or email starts with a "K" I  type in the
> > letter. Then i get a list underneath my box of those people, I click on the
> > one i want, and it goes to my box. If i have a "d" letter, i hit d. And,
> > same as above happens, I dont add comas between each address, it does that
> > for me. Im sorry if im way off track of helping you with this. Things were a
> > little confusing in all the email posts. Hope this helped a little. One more
> > thing, I do have an outlook ex. account. I typed a letter in the address bar
> > to send to 1 person, When i hit send, it went to all of my contacts. Lovely.
> > Dont use it that often, so im not trying to adjust.

bkennelly

Feb 9, 2008, 11:46:59 AM2/9/08
to Gmail-Users
I was suggesting allowing the contact list to put the addresses in the
"To" field, then drag and drop them to the other boxes. Drag and drop
works between the address boxes, but, unfortunately, it copies the
addresses, rather then moving them.

(Another ugly hack - If you put the addresses in the TO field, then
select all and drag them to CC or BCC, you can then remove them from
the TO box by hittting Ctrl-Z. The 'add addresses' is undone, but not
the copy.)

On Feb 8, 7:52 pm, dodo <DEPfah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Do you mean select them from the Contact List (rather than use auto-
> complete as Nick had suggested), then move them to the "cc" or "bcc"
> boxes as you described (although I don't think they can be dragged
> but, rather, moved and pasted or some such)? That's a possibility--
> cumbersome, but a possibility. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll think
> about that.

~V~

Feb 10, 2008, 9:02:27 AM2/10/08
to Gmail-Users
this is why i liked the OLDERVERSION of the contact list.. If you
clicked on the CONTACTS then, A LIST, a REAL LIST displayed and you
could go right down the list and check those that you wanted to be in
the TO and then you could do the same for BCC.
It was nice and quick.
I had even created GROUPS with a numeric digit in the first position
of the quick/nickname. Even with that grouping code there were times
that i didnt want to send the email to a few of them so strict
grouping and then having to go back and delete an address is less than
fun..

I like the LIST option and wish it were in the NEWER verstion.

Another nice thing is I liked to CAPTURE my contact list every once in
a while.. usually before i went on a task of cleaning up those that i
dont recognize (like someone elser her talked about)

anyway, the originator of this threat might want to go and try the
OLDER VERSION and see if that doesnt help them and THEN MOST
IMPORTANTLY write to the GMAIL GUYS with the suggestion that the LIST
OPTION be REINSTATED..

The original suggestion on this threat is missing it when it comes to
REMEMBERing what a persos address starts as.

As an aside, i dont like the CONTACTS on NEWER version at all. The box
display deoesnt even have the width to display the common and actual
address.
THE NEW CONTACTS is labor intensive, my labor, and when i know that it
was not labor intensive before its a little infuriating.

Intersting that the form on the email to the list doesnt include a bcc
option.. that would be nice. v

Ryan Morehart

Feb 10, 2008, 9:22:27 AM2/10/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
On Feb 10, 2008 9:02 AM, ~V~ <valenti...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The original suggestion on this threat is missing it when it comes to
> REMEMBERing what a persos address starts as.

You actually only have to remember the person's name, which you
hopefully can do. If you're sending something to somebody who you
don't even know the name of, you probably should have to work a little
harder...

Ryan

dodo

Feb 10, 2008, 8:00:06 PM2/10/08
to Gmail-Users
Thanks for this suggestion. I didn't know about the "Tile
Vertically" (or horizontally) options. While I've gone to the Taskbar
for other things, I guess I never paid attention to all the options
there.

dodo

Feb 10, 2008, 8:06:53 PM2/10/08
to Gmail-Users
I can't drag and drop e-mail addresses from the "To" field to the
other boxes. I can copy or move them, but not drag and drop. How do
you do that?

dodo

Feb 10, 2008, 8:14:36 PM2/10/08
to Gmail-Users
I went to the older version and tried what you said, but I couldn't
get names into the "cc" or "bcc" areas. Once you have addresses in
the "To" field, how do you get other addresses in the other fields?

dodo

Feb 10, 2008, 8:16:18 PM2/10/08
to Gmail-Users
I'm one of those people who sometimes forwards a message to quite a
few contacts. However, it varies, depending on the content of the e-
mail. So I need to see a list to decide who should/shouldn't get that
particular message.

dodo

Feb 10, 2008, 8:25:35 PM2/10/08
to Gmail-Users
I went to the older version to try out something "V" suggested. There
I was able to drag/drop some addresses from the "To" field to the "cc"
field. I tried this several times; sometimes I was successful,
sometimes not. I couldn't figure out what I did differently when it
worked from when it didn't. I was not successful in getting any
addresses into the "bcc" field. Also, I can't imagine why being in
the older version of gmail made a difference. Am going to return to
the newer version and try again.

dodo

Feb 10, 2008, 8:40:25 PM2/10/08
to Gmail-Users
I'm back! I was finally successful dragging/dropping in the newer
version as well. But, in both versions, what finally worked for me was
HOLDING THE CTRL KEY while moving the selected to the "cc" or "bcc"
fields

Sean Murphy

Feb 11, 2008, 1:02:20 PM2/11/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
For that matter, you don't even need to start with the beginning of
their name. If I want to email a contact named "The Leukemia and
Lymphoma Society", I don't have to type "The". I can type "leu" or "lym"
an Gmail finds the correct contact to auto-fill in...

Sean Murphy

Feb 11, 2008, 1:20:45 PM2/11/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
Why not just set up groups for various types of forwards? Then it is
done and all you have to enter in any email is the name of the
appropriate contact group.

dodo

Feb 12, 2008, 1:59:04 AM2/12/08
to Gmail-Users
It's not that structured how I forward e-mails. Depends on the
content of the e-mail. I might send an e-mail to "Joe" this time but
definitely don't want to include him on the next, etc. Ditto for all
my contacts.

Zack (Doc)

Feb 12, 2008, 6:44:18 AM2/12/08
to Gmail...@googlegroups.com
So maybe Joe doesn't fall into any group, and you just type his name
each time. Or he falls into the group "Church Friends" most of the
time, so you put him in there, and when you're forwarding to "Church
Friends" and you don't want Joe this time, you enter "Church Friends"
and then delete Joe's name when it pops in (auto-complete for groups
fills in ALL the addresses in the group, not just a placeholder name
like Outlook's groups do, so you can remove people after you've
entered the group).

Trust me on this... I used to be just like you. Once I got to using
Contact Groups and auto-complete, I literally address a forward to
dozens of friends in under 9 SECONDS. I have over 250 contacts but
90% of them fall into 5 or 6 major groups taking care of more than 90%
of my addressing. And I'm even quicker with a forgotten name now.
ex, I know I want this to go to Jeff, but I can't recall Jeff's last
name. In a list, I'll have to scan up and down depending if their
alphabetical by first or last name, but with auto-complete I type
"Jeff" or maybe even fewer letters and get all the Jeff's in my book
and can then just see who the right one is. Maybe I find he's
actually "Jefery", which will be obvious when I type the first F, but
could easily be missed in a list.