Re: 1 of 2: Google Chrome Icon in Taskbar

Message has been deleted

Dodo

Aug 19, 2012, 10:52:18 PM8/19/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com, Gmail Users
Hello--

It's been a while but I am back with two questions for you.  The first is I am using Google Chrome version 21.0.1180.79 which is "up to date."  However, the Google Chrome Icon at the far right has disappeared.  Similarly, "under the hood" has disappeared so that I cannot check the setting there.  I did a little research before writing you and found if I go to "advanced settings," I can enable or disable the ability to run background apps when GC is closed.  This feature is enabled but, again, no icon at the far right of the taskbar.  Meanwhile, on another computer with the same version of GC, I do have that icon.  Why this difference?
~Dodo

Kenneth Ayers

Aug 19, 2012, 11:01:56 PM8/19/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I know they've changed how to get to settings in the latest version.  I don't remember what the Google Chrome icon at the far right was that you're looking for, however, if you click on the wrench icon at the top right, you should be able to get to settings and everything else.

Dodo

Aug 19, 2012, 11:21:28 PM8/19/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Thank you for replying.  Previous to posting my original inquiry, I did go, using the wrench icon, to Settings--and Tools--to find the "under the hood" section which used to exist and which activated that icon.  I have now switched to the computer I mentioned which still has that icon (see below),which notified me that Google Chrome was running in the background.  I want to have it back on the other computer.
~Dodo
chrome icon.jpg

Jeff Grossman

Aug 20, 2012, 10:36:34 AM8/20/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
That icon means that Chrome is running in the background.  You will need to install an extension, like Offline Gmail or Offline Calendar, to have Chrome continue to run in the background.

If you go into the settings, there should be an option at the bottom for advanced settings.  Once those settings show up, make sure the "Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed" option is selected.

Jeff

DEP/Dodo

Aug 20, 2012, 7:57:36 PM8/20/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
That is already the case, Jeff.  I noted that before my initial post.  Incidentally, at work, that icon also still is visible in the far right of the taskbar.
~Dodo

Jeff Grossman

Aug 20, 2012, 9:57:23 PM8/20/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
So you have the Offline Gmail and/or Offline Calendar webapp installed in Chrome?  And, you have the option selected to continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed turned on?  Yet you do not have the Chrome icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen by the time?  Is the icon maybe just hidden because Windows considers it inactive?  There is an up arrow as the first option to show hidden notification icons.

Otherwise, I have no other ideas.

Jeff

DEP/Dodo

Aug 22, 2012, 2:57:36 AM8/22/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Yes to your first three questions, Jeff.  No, the icon is not hidden--I had considered that, too.  What's further strange is that I did have that icon previously.  I only recently noticed the absence of its presence.  I guess I'll just have to be okay with knowing that background apps continue to run in the background.

Thank you for trying, Jeff.  Any ideas as to my other question about the Official Gmail Blog?  No one has responded to that inquiry.
~Dodo

Jeff Grossman

Aug 22, 2012, 4:17:56 PM8/22/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
According to the Official Gmail Blog the last post was 4 weeks ago.

Jeff

DEP/Dodo

Aug 23, 2012, 2:30:15 AM8/23/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I haven't received anything since last April!  I wonder what's going on in that regard?  I'm going to check the link you provided (thank you).  My e-mails from that group came from:
The Gmail Team gmai...@google.com
~D.

DEP/Dodo

Aug 23, 2012, 2:46:47 AM8/23/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Correcting myself.  I received the blog in May entitled "Story of Send."
~D.

Dodo

Aug 26, 2012, 8:47:46 PM8/26/12
to gmail...@googlegroups.com, Gmail Users
A quick update:  It occurred to me to uninstall and reinstall Google Chrome to see if that icon returned to the systems tray area.  In two words, it didn't.  So I will live with it since I know how to check and make sure Chrome is running in the background, etc.  Worth a try.  Meanwhile, that icon continues to be on two other computers at home and the one I use at work.