Re: [Gmail-Users] can't register a new gmail address containing word admin

Sean Murphy

Jan 6, 2013, 9:58:41 PM1/6/13
to gmail-users
    Yes.

On Sun, Jan 6, 2013 at 2:35 PM, Watch_ Firefly <watch....@gmail.com> wrote:
Is there a rule that we can't use word admin?

Zack (Doc)

Apr 5, 2013, 7:09:44 AM4/5/13
to Gmail-Users Google Group
http://support.google.com/mail/answer/66278?hl=en

There have been blog posts from 8 years ago when GMail was started covering specifics like admin, but in general this is covered by rule #3 in that link.

If they had their own domain for the club, and registered it with Google Aps, the primary account, within that domain, would be admin.

On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 11:38 PM, Brian Gates <br...@castlegates.org> wrote:
Could you post the link to the policy/help page where this policy is laid out?

I was helping someone I know create an email address for a club, and they weren't able to (it kept telling them that someone else already had the address).  I ran through a bunch of variations, to figure out it wasn't that someone already head it, it was blocking any address that has the five letters in sequence: a,d,m,i,n - somewhere in the proposed email name.  That gets to be a bit silly...

Andy

Apr 5, 2013, 10:28:37 AM4/5/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
With "plus addressing" you can at least use an address that has the
letters "admin" in it.

Say your club has the actual address "myclub @ gmail.com". Then tell
your club members the address is "myclub+admin @ gmail.com".

It's a cheap substitute, but if you really have your heart set on
having "admin" in the address and you don't want to get a Google Apps
account, I believe it works.

Kenneth Ayers

Apr 5, 2013, 10:51:57 AM4/5/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Just tested it.  It works.

Andy A

Feb 11, 2014, 11:40:58 AM2/11/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
This is very frustrating.  It does not end at the keyword admin.  Try security...@gmail.com and youtube....@gmail.com.  I have been trying to create some sub accounts for use with different things i work with and cannot create a simple name.  Very frustrating.  Would be great to have an explanation of why they limit this.

On Sunday, January 6, 2013 1:35:18 PM UTC-6, Watch_ Firefly wrote:
Hi All,

I was trying to create a new gmail address lhmac.admin, but Gmail said it has already been taken.

When I emailed lhmac...@gmail.com, I received an error saying:

     lhmac...@gmail.com

Technical details of permanent failure:
The email account that you tried to reach does not exist. Please try double-checking the recipient's email address for typos or unnecessary spaces. Learn more at http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?answer=6596

Then I tried many names that contained the word "admin". For each of those, Gmail said, it has already been taken!

Is there a rule that we can't use word admin?

thanks,
Watch

Zack (Doc)

Feb 11, 2014, 11:25:59 PM2/11/14
to Gmail-Users Google Group
https://support.google.com/mail/answer/66278?hl=en

There are various names that they don't let you use, and they don't tell you what those are.  My guess, the ones you're trying are in their list (I'm sure youtube is).