How to keep important emails from going into Promotions folder

Jonathan J

Oct 22, 2013, 10:11:05 AM10/22/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
I get a recurring email every month notifying me that one of my bills is due, and Google graciously decided to categorize it as a "Promotion" for me.
Is there some way to keep this from happening again?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Jonathan J

Oct 23, 2013, 10:55:58 AM10/23/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com

On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 1:24:12 AM UTC-4, justkenneth wrote:
Jonathan,

On Tue, Oct 22, 2013 at 7:11 AM, Jonathan J <gosto.d...@gmail.com> wrote:
I get a recurring email every month notifying me that one of my bills is due, and Google graciously decided to categorize it as a "Promotion" for me.
Is there some way to keep this from happening again?

Did you try clicking on the "Not Promotions" button displayed at the top of the email?  I'm not sure what that will do but it must be something relevant to what you're looking for.

You can also create filter for this type of email under Settings > Filters and enable the Categorize As option and select something other than Promotions.  One of the choices in that list is Personal which seems strange as I don't see a Personal category, unless that means Primary.

Or you could go to Settings > Inbox and deselect Promotions as one of the categories you're using.  If you do that, all of the emails you receive which would have gone to Promotions will now go to Primary.  That may not be ideal though if you do still want Gmail to recognize and categorize other emails as Promotions.  But try one of the first two options and see how that works.

Kenneth

Hi Kenneth.
Thanks for the response. I don't see a "Not Promotions" button at the top of the email.

Kenneth Ayers

Kenneth Ayers

Oct 24, 2013, 10:26:55 PM10/24/13
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 7:55 AM, Jonathan J <gosto.d...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Kenneth.
Thanks for the response. I don't see a "Not Promotions" button at the top of the email.

The button only appears when you're viewing an email from the Categories-Promotions label.  It won't be there when viewing an email via the Inbox Promotions tab.  I didn't realize that when I replied to you.

So if you see Categories listed in your left sidebar along with the other labels, expand it to show Promotions and then click on that and find your email.  If Categories isn't listed at the left, go to Settings > Labels and select to show it.

Hope this helps.

Kenneth

j.ologie

Oct 9, 2014, 2:19:22 PM10/9/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com

I do not want to turn off my promotion category because I use it, but I have work related important emails that keep getting stuck there. Any suggestions.

Zack (Doc)

Oct 9, 2014, 10:31:27 PM10/9/14
to Gmail-Users Google Group
This help center article (https://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=3055016) explains your situation.  I don't use the category tabs, so I can neither confirm nor deny it, but it seems reasonable.  If you had a problem with how this help center article described it, why not explain what was wrong, and perhaps someone can help you.

APB

Oct 12, 2014, 7:24:17 PM10/12/14
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
The way it says to move messages -- by dragging -- in the article that Zack linked to, is the way I do it.  As far as I can remember, if I've clicked on "Yes" to say that I want all future messages from this sender to go into the designated tab, then that's what happens.

--APB

Pastor Andrew

May 1, 2015, 8:39:50 PM5/1/15
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jonathan,

I had the same problem, but I did something that worked just perfectly for me, so I can talk to you.

1. Click on the "Promotions" tab to see the message you want to move.

2. Click and drag it to the "Primary" tab

3. You'll be  asked if you want futur messages from this email to go to "Primary"; click "Yes"

That's it. It's the best solution because you still want a lot of the mail you get to go to "Promotions".

D Gonzales

Jun 9, 2015, 4:00:26 PM6/9/15
to gmail...@googlegroups.com

Same issue here.  I did steps 1. and 2., but I don't get prompted on step 3.

Gina Colon

Jun 12, 2015, 4:51:26 PM6/12/15
to gmail...@googlegroups.com
Hi D,

Step #3 only appears when you are viewing the email on desktop browser version, not on Gmail apps.