Toggle PUBLIC/PRIVATE folders; see last edit date/time

Bruce Sherwood

Dec 21, 2017, 7:38:11 PM12/21/17
to Glowscript Users
When you display the contents of a folder, you now see at the upper left the word PUBLIC or PRIVATE, depending on what kind of folder it is. You can click on this word to toggle between the folder being public or private.

Also, when viewing the contents of a folder you will see the date and time of the last change to a program. If this information is unknown, as is the case with all existing programs, you will see "Before 2018".

Bruce

capaii...@gmail.com

May 26, 2018, 11:38:26 AM5/26/18
to Glowscript Users
It has been a few years since I played with GlowScript, so I had many alterations to make to get my old files up & running again.  My files were in a PRIVATE folder, so I added a PUBLIC folder and duplicated some of the files there for students to access.  I used the given link for them to access my PUBLIC folder.  Then, I signed off, and tried the link myself.  The HELP and some of your other blog entries say my PRIVATE folder should not even be visible (as we would hope).

But, to my surprise, even though not logged in, I saw both folders, and could RUN/VIEW files in the PRIVATE folder, too.  I thought maybe it had something to do with cookies or that somehow my computer knew me even though I hadn't logged in and had tried both CHROME and EDGE.  So, I sent the link to my friend, and he sent back screen shots, showing he also could see my PRIVATE folder.

It's a little awkward if my "key" is hidden in my PRIVATE folder, but anybody can just look at it (and probably copy it).  I see that the PRIVATE button toggles between PRIVATE/PUBLIC, and it says PRIVATE in one folder and PUBLIC in the other, but they are both just as public.  I can send you a private link if you'd like to see for yourself.

Any ideas?  Are there some secret settings I haven't found?  Thanks ....

Bruce Sherwood

May 27, 2018, 7:51:34 AM5/27/18
to Glowscript Users
I found and fixed the problem.

Any folder that was created before PRIVATE folders became available, and whose PUBLIC/PRIVATE option was never explicitly set, necessarily should be treated as PUBLIC, since that's what it was originally.

However, by mistake (now fixed), when you viewed your own old folder you saw PRIVATE, but it wasn't true; it was actually PUBLIC.

Thanks much for reporting the problem.

Bruce

capaii...@gmail.com

May 27, 2018, 9:45:40 AM5/27/18
to Glowscript Users
Thanks, Bruce!  That did indeed fix the problem …