Minor editor bug (or maybe bugs?)

dbor...@willamette.edu

Apr 24, 2018, 2:43:07 PM4/24/18
to Glowscript Users
Today my students were using GlowScript to plot the intensity profiles for single and two slit diffraction. They came up with the following code:

They were having trouble getting all the parentheses right, so I showed them the matching parenthesis highlighting feature in the GlowScript editor, where putting the
cursor after an opening/closing parenthesis highlights the corresponding closing/opening parenthesis. Anyway, here's a couple of things that I noticed:

1.) There is different (green) highlighting for the middle term when you have two divisions in a row but only when the third term is surrounded by a parenthesis, e.g., a/b/(c).
This may be a bug or a feature, not sure.

2.) The parenthesis highlighting tool fails when the opening parenthesis is not green but the closing parenthesis is:

So things like

sin(a/(b))/c

highlights everything correctly, but

sin(a/(b))/(c)

does not. I would imagine this behavior leans more toward bug than feature.

Bruce Sherwood

Apr 24, 2018, 2:52:32 PM4/24/18
to Glowscript Users
Thanks for the tips. I have to say that this machinery is basically out of our control. GlowScript uses the ACE editor, which is what performs these operations. It's a large black box.

Bruce

dbor...@willamette.edu

Apr 24, 2018, 2:54:32 PM4/24/18
to glowscri...@googlegroups.com
I figured as much... It's not a huge deal, but I figured I'd report it just in case. Thanks (as usual) for getting back to me so quickly!