Calamity of Switching Branch with Reset Option Checked

Hassan Ebrahimi

May 25, 2016, 8:43:39 AM5/25/16
to GitExtensions
Dear all,

I made a mistake upon my action to commit the latest developments of my work, and lost the result of the whole day work. Since "no branch" was selected I changed to an older branch from the drop-down menu and applied, without noticing that of the Reset check box was selected. In a blink of eye, all the new version was replaced with an older version and it appeared to be gone. Now I have two distinct questions:

1. Is there a way to recover the lost changes?
2. It happens a lot that when I want to commit, "no branch" is selected and in this case, commit is not allowed. What is proper action in such case? How can I know which branch to switch to commit the changes?

Your help, in particular in question (1), would be highly appreciated.

Regards,

Hassan

Arkady Shapkin

May 26, 2016, 5:07:08 AM5/26/16
to GitExtensions
Hi,

> 1. Is there a way to recover the lost changes?

> 2. It happens a lot that when I want to commit, "no branch" is selected and in this case, commit is not allowed. What is proper action in such case? How can I know which branch to switch to commit the changes?
I thought latest GitExt warn if you try commit to "no branch". I need to double-check