[question] Linux mode bits support in "Git Bash"

Steve Rae

Nov 22, 2017, 1:17:01 PM11/22/17
to GitExtensions
Am I doing something wrong?

1) Internally, git stores the (Linux) mode bits of files, typically these are either 100644 (-rw-r--r--) or 10755 (-rwxr-xr-x)

2) perform "git ls-files --stage" to verify that the (internal) mode bits are correct
3) perform "rm *" then "git checkout ."
4) "ls -l" shows that some of the files have the mode bits set differently than the specified bits in the git repo?

5) additionally (after ensuring that mode bits in the git repo match the mode bits in the file-system)
6) performing a "git add <filename>"
7) then, perform "git diff --cached" will sometimes show that the mode bits have changed (usually it incorrectly adds the exec bits....)?

Is there a setting which controls this operation?
Thanks in advance, Steve

(Version 2.49.03)

Igor Velikorossov

Nov 22, 2017, 4:00:44 PM11/22/17
to gitext...@googlegroups.com

GE runs underlying git command, so it is probably git that is not behaving.
Try updating git to latest, and if it is still misbehaving report the issue directly to git

Steve Rae

Nov 23, 2017, 12:13:01 PM11/23/17
to GitExtensions
OK -
it seems that "Git Bash" is running:
git version 2.10.1.windows.1
from:
/mingw32/bin/git

where does this come from (Git Extensions installed it?)? who would I contact?

Thanks

PS.
- the "cygwin" version does not have this issue:
git version 2.14.1
from:
/usr/bin/git
- I have never seen this issue in any Linux version of git (currently I'm running: git version 2.1.0)