Repository permissions can't be edited anymore (using LDAP)

Steffen Gebert

Aug 19, 2014, 9:52:22 AM8/19/14
to git...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I just noticed that we cannot edit the permissions of all our repositories anymore.

We are using LDAP users and groups.

Hitting the "Add" button for any user or group in the "permissions" tab leads to an Internal Server Error.

Stack trace:

2014-08-19 15:26:40 [ERROR]
java
.lang.IllegalArgumentException
        at org
.apache.catalina.connector.Response.normalize(Response.java:1799)
        at org
.apache.catalina.connector.Response.toAbsolute(Response.java:1732)
        at org
.apache.catalina.connector.Response.encodeURL(Response.java:1242)
        at org
.apache.catalina.connector.ResponseFacade.encodeURL(ResponseFacade.java:406)
        at org
.apache.wicket.protocol.http.WebResponse.encodeURL(WebResponse.java:149)
        at org
.apache.wicket.protocol.http.request.WebRequestCodingStrategy.encode(WebRequestCodingStrategy.java:387)
        at org
.apache.wicket.RequestCycle.encodeUrlFor(RequestCycle.java:811)
        at org
.apache.wicket.RequestCycle.urlFor(RequestCycle.java:1115)
        at org
.apache.wicket.RequestCycle.urlFor(RequestCycle.java:1082)
        at org
.apache.wicket.markup.html.internal.HeaderResponse.renderJavascriptReference(HeaderResponse.java:152)
        at org
.apache.wicket.ajax.AjaxRequestTarget$AjaxHeaderResponse.renderJavascriptReference(AjaxRequestTarget.java:976)
        at org
.apache.wicket.ajax.AbstractDefaultAjaxBehavior.renderHead(AbstractDefaultAjaxBehavior.java:76)
        at org
.apache.wicket.Component.renderHead(Component.java:2807)

POST data:

d3_hf_0:
namePanel
:projectPath:13
namePanel
:name:testrepo.git
namePanel
accessPolicyPanel
:policiesGroup:radio1
accessPolicyPanel
:allowForks:allowForks:checkbox:on
owners
:recorder:admin
users
:addPermissionForm:registrant:147
users
:addPermissionForm:permission:4
teams
:permissionRow:45:permission:7
teams
:addPermissionForm:registrant:
teams
:addPermissionForm:permission:
preReceiveScripts
:recorder:
postReceiveScripts
:recorder:
acceptNewPatchsets
:checkbox:on
acceptNewTickets
:checkbox:on
mergeTo
:choice:
federationStrategy
:choice:1
federationSets
:recorder:
indexedBranches
:recorder:
head
:choice:0
maxActivityCommits
:choice:1
commitMessageRenderer
:choice:0
metricAuthorExclusions
:text:
mailingLists
:text:steffen@example.com
users
:addPermissionForm:addPermissionButton:1

Can anyone help me with this? The error message is unfortunately not very descriptive.

We're running Gitblit 1.6.0 on Tomcat7 as root webapp.

The same worked at least with the 1.4.x version (not sure, if it happens since I've upgraded to 1.6 few weeks ago).

Thanks!
Steffen

Michael Glauche

Aug 19, 2014, 10:29:16 AM8/19/14
to git...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

we are also using LDAP and it seems to work fine. (although there is a minor annoyance in the screen that the owners are displayed as "name (uid)", but in the edit permissions dropdown box only "uid" is shown. (Its bad when you use random uids ....)

I recall there were some settings changes in LDAP during 1.4 and 1.6, did you start with a vanilla 1.6 installation?

Regards,
Michael

Steffen Gebert

Aug 19, 2014, 10:45:22 AM8/19/14
to git...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michael,

thanks for your answer!

It's not a vanilla installation, we've been upgrading from 1.4 (and were on 1.3 and 1.2 before, IIRC).

Does your post request equal mine?

(I agree with your note about the inconsistent output omitting the name in the permissions section)

Yours
Steffen

Steffen Gebert

Aug 22, 2014, 5:36:45 AM8/22/14
to git...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have also tried it with a new installation (using Gitblit GO) and the same configuration file - there it worked.

It also seems that our Apache proxy in production installation is not the issue - accessing Gitblit directly through an SSH tunnel revealed the same problems.

Where else can I search? users and projects configurations? I see no obvious mistakes there..

Yours
Steffen

James Moger

Aug 22, 2014, 7:49:16 AM8/22/14
to git...@googlegroups.com
There is an open issue related to POSTing ticket forms to Tomcat.  This sounds like a similar issue; Wicket & Tomcat are fighting.  I haven't looked into it yet.

"accessing Gitblit directly through an SSH tunnel revealed the same problems" Can you elaborate on this?  Do you mean setting permissions though Gitblit's SSH server with Powertools or do you mean something else?

-J

Steffen Gebert

Aug 22, 2014, 8:16:41 AM8/22/14
to git...@googlegroups.com
Hi James,

thank you very much for your answer!

No, I tunnelled through SSH to access the HTTP port of Tomcat directly and not through the Apache HTTPD proxy. As you assume, I would also expect more that it's Tomcat's fault, not Apache HTTPD.

I will set up a new server with Tomcat and give it a try.

Browsing through the issues (searching for the keyword "wicket") did not reveal an issue with the same error. But not identifying similarities might also be caused by my limited knowledge of Tomcat, Wicket & co ;-)

Will report back later.

Best regards
Steffen

James Moger

Aug 22, 2014, 8:23:30 AM8/22/14
to git...@googlegroups.com
The reported issue doesn't throw an exception, IIRC:
https://code.google.com/p/gitblit/issues/detail?id=455

Can you post the full stracktrace of your error?

-J

Steffen Gebert

Aug 22, 2014, 8:31:04 AM8/22/14
to git...@googlegroups.com

Steffen Gebert

Aug 22, 2014, 8:33:45 AM8/22/14
to git...@googlegroups.com
And yes, I can reproduce it in a new install (also Debian 7, Tomcat 7).

Should I file it as a bug report, or are you planning to solve the topic wicket vs. tomcat in general?

Regards
Steffen

Steffen Gebert

Aug 22, 2014, 9:33:10 AM8/22/14
to git...@googlegroups.com
We are also affected by the linked issue about ticket updates.

Steffen