[Girl Develop It Columbus] Monthly Updates - September Edition

Kim Hamper

Sep 26, 2013, 10:41:05 AM9/26/13
to gdic-core-...@googlegroups.com, gdic-t...@googlegroups.com, girl-develop...@googlegroups.com

Hello all,

It's official! We will now be sending out a monthly email with Girl Develop It Columbus updates. Get excited because this is your very first September edition:

We're Tip Top Kitchen and Cocktails' Community Partner for October!

Help out Girl Develop It Columbus by eating at Tip Top on October 21st! Ten percent of your food purchases will be given back to GDIC. Invite your friends and have lunch or dinner or a late night snack (or all three).

Join the Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/606382839419615/

Upcoming Classes and Events

We're just finishing up our fall classes, but the next round of classes is slated to start the first week of February 2014.

In preparation, we're having a Teacher and TA Meetup from 1-3pm on October 13. If you're interested in teaching, TAing, or speaking for Girl Develop It Columbus in 2014, stop by! We'll be putting together the rest of our calendar for the year, and we're always looking for new ideas.

Don't miss our last Hack Night of the year on October 23rd!

We're taking a field trip to Columbus Code Camp 2013 on October 12th to hear some fantastic speakers talk about mobile development, Git, HTML/CSS, and other topics. Join us!

Resources

----------------

Missed classes but looking for resources to get started learning to code? Here are a few places to look:

Columbus Python Workshop for Women

This isn't a GDIC event, but If you're looking for a beginner programming class, we recommend signing up for the Columbus Python Workshop happening on October 18th.

GDIC Resources page

Our resources page, complete with links to free online ebooks, tutorials (like Rails for Zombies), and kids' resources, is live at http://gdicbus.github.io

What resources have you been using to learn? If you have additional suggestions for links we should add to the list, make changes to the repo on Github or tweet a suggestion to @gdicbus. We'll be updating and the expanding the list going forward.

Mentorship Program

One of our fantastic Admin Team members, Jan Milosh (@janmilosh, gdic....@gmail.com), has launched our Mentorship Program.

If you're struggling to learn something new or starting a new project, consider signing up for a mentor. Some of our favorite people are on the mentor list just waiting for a mentee. We're also always looking for more mentors!

The sign up form is available here: http://bit.ly/180Ko22

Admin Team Updates

------------------------------

Our Assistant Organizer since last spring, Katy Exline (@Kathryn_Ex), is leaving for Dev Bootcamp this coming week! We are still trying to figure out how we are going to live without her.

Luckily, we have two developers who have stepped up to take on Assistant Organizer positions: Andrea Jessup (@AndreaJessup) and Katia Tenney. So excited to have them join our Admin Team!

Partner Updates

------------------------

Inline image 1

A big thanks to our new Hack Night sponsor, CoverMyMeds. They're a great company that is helping doctors and pharmacists improve patients' lives. (And, coincidentally, they also have an amazing in-house chef like GDIC.) We encourage you to check them out!

http://covermymeds.com

@CoverMyMeds

facebook.com/CoverMyMeds

Any questions, ideas, feedback? Press reply! We'd love to hear from you.

Cheers,

Kim

Girl Develop It Columbus

Chapter Leader