Monthly Girl Develop It Updates - Halloween Edition (plus Free Startup Weekend Tickets!)

Kim Hamper

Oct 31, 2013, 5:43:56 PM10/31/13
to gdic-core-...@googlegroups.com, gdic-t...@googlegroups.com, girl-develop...@googlegroups.com

Hello all,

Happy Halloween! Girl Develop It Columbus is officially on hiatus for November and December - we'll be re-charging and putting together some fantastic new projects for 2014. That said, here is one last 2013 update email (and some free Startup Weekend tickets) to tide you over:

Save the Dates

Our next round of classes is slated to start the first week of February 2014. We'll have class topics and other details pinned down and posted on Meetup in December/January. Stay tuned.

We'll be launching 2014 with an Open House on Tuesday, January 7th. Any and all people interested in learning more about Girl Develop It Columbus are invited!

Finally, our first Hack Night of 2014 will be taking place on January 22nd.

In The Meantime...

Here are some things to keep you entertained until January!

Free Startup Weekend Tickets

The Startup Weekend organizers have again generously provided us with 5 free Startup Weekend tickets for November 15-17. Send an email to k...@girldevelopit.com if you'd like one! Startup Weekend is open to all skill levels (including beginners), so don't hesitate - grab a ticket now.

This Startup Weekend is extra exciting because it will be held during Global Entrepreneurship Week and will be a part of a "Global Startup Battle" that has over 500k in prizes!

If you'd like more details, you can read up on Startup Weekend here: http://columbus.startupweekend.org/.

Resources for Learning to Code

If you'd like to teach yourself some coding skills while GDIC is on break, take a look at our resources page, complete with links to free online ebooks, tutorials (like Rails for Zombies), and kids' resources: http://gdicbus.github.io.

What resources have you been using to learn? If you have additional suggestions for links we should add to the list, make changes to the repo on Github, tweet a suggestion to @gdicbus, or reply to this email. We update the list regularly.

Mentorship Program

Our Mentorship Program is still operating through the rest of 2013. If you'd like a mentor, or more information, reach out to our Mentor Coordinator, Jan Milosh (@janmilosh, gdic....@gmail.com), or fill out the signup form: http://bit.ly/180Ko22.

If you're interested in becoming a mentor, you can also sign up using the form linked above. We're always looking for more mentors!

Partner Updates

The Salt Mines (http://saltmines.us/), a fantastic co-working space in Clintonville and one of our fabulous event hosts, is having their one-year anniversary celebration tomorrow! Stop into their First Anniversary Open House to meet some great people and find out what they're all about (plus there will be a s'mores bar!).

Any questions, ideas, feedback? Press reply! We'd love to hear from you.

Cheers,

Kim

Girl Develop It Columbus

Chapter Leader