Invitation: Real-World Functional Programming @ Incubaid

Tom Schrijvers

Dec 9, 2011, 3:11:09 AM12/9/11
to ghent-fpg
I would like to invite you to the second guest lecture on the
industrial use of declarative languages in the Ghent area.

The lecture is part of the course "Functional and Logic
Programming Languages", but it is open to everyone.

This lecture, on the use of OCaml at Incubaid, takes
place on Decmber 14, 14h30, in room A2 of building S9, campus De
Sterre, Krijgslaan 281, 9000 Gent. See below for title and abstract.

I hope to see you all there.

Tom Schrijvers

Title: Real-World Functional Programming @ Incubaid
Nicolas Trangez, Romain Slootmaekers

Content:
After a short introduction to the company (goals and history), we
explain why the choice was made to use a functional language: the
benefits during research and engineering, why it fits our application
domain,... This is followed by an overview of the various projects
implemented in a functional language, currently all of them using
OCaml.

Next comes an introduction to the OCaml language, its origin and
implementation. A high-level comparison with Haskell is provided, as
well as a more concrete code snippet introducing the basic syntax and
some language features not found in Haskell.

Finally, an evaluation of the choice for FP is made, as well as an
outlook into the future.

prof. dr. ir. Tom Schrijvers

Programming Languages Group
Department of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science
University of Ghent

Krijgslaan 281 S9
9000 Gent
Belgium