9th Ghent Functional Programming Group meeting on Tuesday, the 4th of October, 2011

Jasper Van der Jeugt

Sep 19, 2011, 8:31:27 AM9/19/11
to le...@zeus.ugent.be, ghen...@googlegroups.com, cic...@elis.ugent.be, Haskell Cafe
Hello all,

We are glad to invite you to our 9th GhentFPG [1] meeting, which takes
place on Thursday, the 4th of October, 2011 at 19:30 in the Technicum
building of Ghent University. You do not have to be a Functional
Programming guru to attend, everyone eager to learn is welcome.

As before, the electronic sliding doors will be locked, but a phone
number that you can call to get in will be provided at the doors on
the far left of the building.

The program is as follows:

First, we will have a talk by Jurriën Stutterheim, from Utrecht: Snap
Framework [2] is a relatively young, but very promising and already
quite popular Haskell web framework. Its upcoming 0.6 release has seen
a major redesign in the way you write (reusable) components for the
framework using so-called snaplets. In this talk, we will look at how
you can write snaplets and how you can put them together to create
modular web applications.

Then, we will have a number of lightning talks in which the following
projects are presented:

- hCole-server [3], a web interface to a framework for compiler
optimizations (Andy Georges);
- GA [4], a library to write genetic algorithms in Haskell (Kenneth Hoste);
- websockets [5], a Haskell library for writing WebSocket-capable
servers (Jasper Van der Jeugt).

If you would also like to give a lightning talk (15 mins), please
contact us and we will add you to this list. Afterwards, we will have
some drinks at a local bar.

[1]: http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Ghent_Functional_Programming_Group
[2]: http://snapframework.com/
[3]: http://github.com/itkovian/hcole-server
[4]: http://github.com/boegel/GA
[5]: http://github.com/jaspervdj/websockets

Hoping to see you there,
The GhentFPG organizing commitee

Jasper Van der Jeugt

Sep 27, 2011, 7:08:50 AM9/27/11
to le...@zeus.ugent.be, ghen...@googlegroups.com, cic...@elis.ugent.be, Haskell Cafe
Hello all,

We would like to remind you of our 9th GhentFPG [1] meeting and set
some things straight. In the previous announcement, we mistakenly put
“Thursday, the 4th of October”. This should be “Tuesday, the 4th of
October”. We hope this mistake has not caused any major inconvenience.

There is also a small issue regarding the the room where we will host
the meeting: it is unreachable through the regular building entrance
because of construction works. Hence, attendees need to take the
alternative side entrance. This entrance can be found on the right
side (as seen from the street) of the building -- it will remain open
until 20:00. If you walk up to the Technicum building and go right at
the bicycle stands, you should see “Ingang Blok 1 & Blok 2” indicated.
Follow this, and you’ll be able to get inside, at which point you’ll
see arrows pointing to the meeting room. For safety measures the blue
doors will be locked, so if you arrive after 19:30, please give us a
call at +32 (0) 9 264 3370, so we can come and open the doors for you.

If you can’t find the entrance, or any other problems arise, you can
also contact us at +32476264847.

[1]: http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Ghent_Functional_Programming_Group

Hoping to see you there,

The GhentFPG organizing committee