Latest Skype Configuration (Ghana)

Enock Seth Nyamador

Oct 8, 2013, 7:38:45 PM10/8/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com

MAXWELL ODEI BENEFO

Oct 9, 2013, 12:34:44 AM10/9/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com
hello but Skype works in Ghana or there is a new development ?

KIND REGARDS

MAXWELL ODEI BENEFO
     (0246229277)

Enock Seth Nyamador

Oct 9, 2013, 7:38:38 AM10/9/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com
Not always.

Thanks.

Regards,
Enock S. Nyamador.

-----------------------
Writer
| Wikimedian

Edwin A. Opare

Oct 9, 2013, 7:43:56 AM10/9/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com

It doesn't work on some networks. I know for a fact it doesn't work on Vodafone and Airtel.

It's a fight we need to put up. A fight for #NetNeutrality. No more #filtering or #throttling! We need to take the fight to the Telcos, NCA, the Ghana IGF, Ministry of Communications and all relevant stakeholders.

Together we shall overcome!

Best,

Edwin A. Opare

Sent from Samsung GALAXY Note

Enock Seth Nyamador

Oct 9, 2013, 7:45:17 AM10/9/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com
You welcome Edwin. Is really boring.

Thanks.

Regards,
Enock S. Nyamador.

-----------------------
Writer
| Wikimedian

Edwin A. Opare

Oct 9, 2013, 7:55:24 AM10/9/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com

Not only is it boring, it stifles innovation, rids end users of choices and kills competition.

Just as the phone companies don't decide who you should call once you've credit on your phone, they shouldn't decide what content or app you can see or use once you've paid for data services. End users have a choice and that should and must be respected.

We're good netizens, yet we're being provoked. An aggrieved netizen can be bad for the health of a nation. He who have ears let them listen!

We must resist oppressors rule!

Long live the #Internet! Long live #NetFreedom!

Best,

Edwin A. Opare

Sent from Samsung GALAXY Note

William Mawunyo Ago

Oct 9, 2013, 8:18:11 AM10/9/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com, ghana...@googlegroups.com
I wonder if it is the Telcos that are blocking Skype deliberately. It doesn't work on Glo either and so I sent them an email last week. A lady called me to let me they were aware and we're talking Skype to resolve the problem. Was this cock and bull?

Regards.

William M. Agbo

Sent from my iPad

Jojoo Imbeah

Oct 9, 2013, 8:24:17 AM10/9/13
to GDG Ghana
William, I believe it was. The telcos hate VoIP solutions with a passion. They believe services like Skype eat into the revenues they generate from voice calls.
Jojoo Imbeah
www.kasahorow.org | www.museke.com | ghana.gtugs.org

fie.nipa - Bring out the Africa in you!
http://www.fienipa.com

Emmanuel Eshun-Davies

Oct 9, 2013, 8:39:11 AM10/9/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com
Skype works on Vodafone fixed lines, MTN sometimes... My last trip to Takoradi, skype worked flawlessly... on tigo, am thinking its an Accra thing... and its amazing how all these months no solution is given to this with the several complaints sent... maybe we should just stop using skype... its not the only VOIP service... screw it... we will not beg to use a service... we can either build or get others, a lot more people are doing better.... consider oovoo which I now use and enjoy very well...

Still on skype, what you need to do is configure it daily and if not lucky hourly using a new port and ip... u can get a couple here hidemyass.com/proxy-list

its quite tiring when you have to change IP every now and then, some dont even work... my new solution now is oovoo, works beautifully, a couple of flaws but I can see whoever am talking to and its just as skype and for now works better than skype.

scicomtech.blogspot.com

...its amazing how far we are able to go if we just let ourselves to go...
after all the binaries, there is a human that decides "What next?" so computers aren't so smart, we are!

Jojoo Imbeah

Oct 9, 2013, 8:41:29 AM10/9/13
to GDG Ghana
Oh Emma. You'll make them block oovoo too o?

Edwin A. Opare

Oct 9, 2013, 8:44:51 AM10/9/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com
I've been doing some work around this subject for some time now. It is the network service providers(Telcos, ISPs) blocking the ports etc

Today it is Skype, tomorrow it could be YouTube, then Facebook, then Twitter, then NetFlix then EgoTickets and so on and so forth. Just wait till the network providers are offering similar content to the free ones you are currently using, they will immediately tweak things to make the free apps work less efficiently, then they will introduce Tier service models which you will have to subscribe to(killing competition) being you are able to use your favorite apps.

We shouldn't let things get to that point. Getting Parliament to pass a Network Neutrality law can get things back to normal again and to persuade them to do so we need evidence to show that indeed packets are being filtered or throttled.

If you use an android device then lets work on this together. Visit http://open.internet.nl/?page_id=205&lang=en, download the app onto your android device and follow the instructions to test whether the certain apps you use are being blocked or not.

I'll have access to the detailed test results and we can take things up from there.

If you don't use an android device you can still install an android terminal( http://www.bluestacks.com/) to do the testing.

To get an initial understanding of what Net Neutrality is all about you can check this presentation out: http://www.slideshare.net/edwinopare/network-neutrality-spam

If we desire to change things we can surely do so! Lets make this happen guys.

Best,

Edwin A. Opare
(MSc, ITIL, IBM)

Emmanuel Eshun-Davies

Oct 9, 2013, 8:47:43 AM10/9/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com
lol! I thought I was the only one having fun with it oooh... guys wait... tango is much better... lol

Edwin A. Opare

Oct 9, 2013, 8:48:07 AM10/9/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com
Emma,

Focus is on mobile! How many people use fix lines these days? The mobile penetration in Ghana according to a January 2013 report from the NCA was over 26 million active subscriptions. Most of the people complaining are either using modems, their mobile phones, tether functionality from their phones or some other mobile service of some sort.

Best,

Edwin A. Opare
(MSc, ITIL, IBM)
------------------------------

Emmanuel Eshun-Davies

Oct 9, 2013, 8:52:38 AM10/9/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com
Am not saying its a good thing cos truly, even the lanline costs these days are ridiculous... I think this is just an issue of us, having a standard in the country... if people don't meet our standards we barn them... I know where microsoft is, if I had the letter I could deliver it and even read it to them...

Enock Seth Nyamador

Oct 9, 2013, 12:12:57 PM10/9/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com
Thank you guys all...

Emma: " I know where microsoft is, if I had the letter I could deliver it and even read it to them..."

Best.

Regards,
Enock S. Nyamador.

-----------------------
Writer
| Wikimedian

Kwamena Appiah-Kubi

Oct 9, 2013, 12:18:45 PM10/9/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com
Disclaimer: I used to work for Tigo.

No with that out of the way, Jojoo, Emma, Edwin this issue is as much a pain for the telcos (at least Tigo) as much as it is for you.

I was working in Tigo when this issue started a while back, Tigo I know for certain was in touch with skype to resolve the issue and.... before I blab on and probably unintentionally reveal sensitive company information, I can summarize it as there being a 3 way deadlock between our telcos, skype and another international outfit.

If you can find someone in the Tigo datacomm team then loosen their tongue with a couple calabashes of pito, maybe you could get more info. hehehehe :D

But think of it, skype on your mobile needs data service, this data service is not free is it? Wouldn't they love for you to video call your relations far and near everyday while your data bundle trickles down to zero for you to go buy more credit.... How many people have ever made a video call without using a third party app of some sort.

And there is such a thing as core business....well unless the business is owned by Richard Branson.... :D

My two pesewa.

Kwamena

Gabriel Tantuoyir

Oct 9, 2013, 7:11:44 PM10/9/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com
Hello All,
I have been following this thread for the whole day and would like to share something here.
I have read some people blaming the Telcos for these issues.
The Telcos are as worried as their customers on this skype issue.
I think the Telcos will even be happier if all their subscribers are using skype because they will be buying more data bundles hence more money for them. So, why will they block subscribers from using it?
My knowledge about this issue is that, Skype has been reporting a lot of spam and scum coming from Mobile Networks in Ghana.
Skype also has some premium users, most of these users are also complaining as being targeted by most of these scums. Ironically, majority of the users here are free users so they had no option than to block the IP blocks from Ghana. Even if you change your IP blocks and they detect it, they will start blocking the new ones.

Now, the only option here is to use a proxy IP which they will block when detected.
If you realize your proxy is no more working, you go to hide my ass and get a new working proxy IP.

Enock Seth Nyamador

Oct 9, 2013, 7:17:18 PM10/9/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com
That will be a great up and down thing. (Getting working IPs, say every 30 mins)

Thanks for your input.

Regards,
Enock S. Nyamador.

-----------------------
Writer
| Wikimedian

Gabriel Tantuoyir

Oct 9, 2013, 7:21:55 PM10/9/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com
lol...the one I have tried, I was able to use the IP for about a month.

Edwin A. Opare

Oct 9, 2013, 8:18:05 PM10/9/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com

Gabriel,

I would like to use the term network service providers(NSPs) rather than Telcos if that's fine.

If you think NSPs will be rejoicing because people are consuming more data as a result of netizens using apps like Skype etc then you must be mistaken.

Read about the arguments enshrined in WCIT-12 which took place in Dubai last December, FCC vs. Comcast 2007, Google vs Orange France agreement and many more.

Telcos complain that:
1. People are not using their GSM(voice) services like before and are rather using VoIP hence they're losing lots of revenue because they've invested heavily in the telephony infrastructure which are not being patronized as should be.

2. People are consuming too much bandwidth by using apps like YouTube, Netflix and what've you. They are compelled to increase their investments in infrastructure deployment which they're reluctant to do esp if it is to allow over-the-top(OTT) service providers like Google, Yahoo, Skype, BitTorrent etc run their apps effectively.

This is what led to President Obama promising to pass a Network Neutrality law towards the 2008 presidential campaign.

NSPs will have you believe it's not their fault that they're trying to fix the situation but trust me they're to be fingered. Ever heard a thief openly admit yes I'm a thief so come catch me before?

Best,

Edwin A. Opare

Sent from Samsung GALAXY Note

Edwin A. Opare

Oct 9, 2013, 8:19:51 PM10/9/13
[...]

NSPs will have you believe it's not their fault that they're trying to fix the situation but trust me they're to be fingered. Ever heard a thief openly admit I'm a thief so come catch me before?

Best,

Edwin A. Opare

Sent from Samsung GALAXY Note

Edwin A. Opare

Oct 9, 2013, 8:42:30 PM10/9/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com
Pretty insightful article on the subject matter. Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality

Best,

Edwin

Nyarko Rexford

Oct 15, 2013, 8:52:58 AM10/15/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com
I get surprised when I see people hitting their heads on walls jus to make Skype work. Remember Microsoft bought Skype recently, and since then, Skype is going down down down.

Well, on Tito, Skype doesn't work, as long as I know, from bolga to axim.

The best advice for you is use Google plus hangouts. At least, you can chat with up to 9 people for free.

I consider people struggling to get Skype work as if theyre trying to boot into DOS when windows 7 is on their computer already.

Emmanuel Eshun-Davies

Oct 15, 2013, 9:18:07 AM10/15/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com
Tigo

Edwin A. Opare

Oct 15, 2013, 10:15:11 AM10/15/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com
The issue is, today its Skype, tomorrow it could be Google Hangout, then Viber, then Line and the list goes on. We need to get to the bottom of what the issue is once and for all so that future applications won' t be subjected to any forms of filtering or throttling or whatever it is that might affect the smooth running of the apps.

Best,

Edwin

Nyarko Rexford

Oct 15, 2013, 10:36:52 AM10/15/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com
@aeopare

The bottom of the issue is Google. Google is the bottom of the video calls issue. Google hangouts works everywhere in the world. Google hangouts run in the browser, thus, wherever there's browser, Google hangouts is there and possible to work.

You will agree with me that Skype wasn't like this until Microsoft toolk over. Well, if micrsosft takes over Google plus hangout, it will fail.

The companies are allergic to the organization Microsoft.

Enock Seth Nyamador

Oct 15, 2013, 10:49:59 AM10/15/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com
Interesting.. So for Tigo from Bolga to Axim, and it's not working in Aflao. lol.

@Rex it seems the bottom @Opare is referring to is not what you are talking about.

Regards,
Enock S. Nyamador.

-----------------------
Writer
| Wikimedian

Edwin A. Opare

Oct 15, 2013, 10:50:41 AM10/15/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com
Rex,

Even Google has and is still facing its fair share of challenges with the NSPs as far as the issue of Net Neutrality is concerned. They've had issues with Telecommunication giants such as AT&T in the USA, Orange France and many more. And in fact that is one of many reasons why they hired Vint Cerf, one of the fathers of the Internet and an Open Internet Advocate to help deal with some of these issues. So not even Google is untouchable in this course. Ghana as a sovereign nation(as has happened in other countries) can decide to restrict access to everything and anything Google and that could even include the Android platform you are likely to be running on your phone. So clearly the issue is not about the vendors or developers or OTT service providers, but rather about having national laws that prohibits any form of filtering of some sort including filtering of P2P sites.

Best,

Edwin

Nyarko Rexford

Oct 15, 2013, 11:54:01 AM10/15/13
to ghana...@googlegroups.com
Ooh OK I get your point now. We'll, perhaps it as the individual private telcoms that play stubborn with the filtering stuffs too.

Until GHANA starts filtering hangouts, I'm there. By the time they filter, another product will be up and running and I'll jump to it.

The solution.? Use wat works nest at a point in time. Such issues are far way out my treachery solving than switching platforms.