Changing the plot/image height in rmd

Frank

Jul 27, 2016, 1:43:17 PM7/27/16
to ggplot2

I need to increase the height of the plot/image generated by knitr with the rmd file (not save the file with dev). I can’t find whether ggplot2 provides a mechanism to adjust the image size. Any ideas?

Sherif Soliman

Jul 27, 2016, 2:03:21 PM7/27/16
to ggplot2

On 27 Jul 2016, at 13:26, Frank wrote:

I need to increase the height of the plot/image generated by knitr with the rmd file (not save the file with dev). I can’t find whether ggplot2 provides a mechanism to adjust the image size. Any ideas?

Hi Frank,

You can see an example of how to do that here:

https://rstudio.github.io/dygraphs/r-markdown.html

The link is for a certain plotting package (dygraphs), but the instructions work for any plot in rmarkdown documents.

You can set default fig_width and fig_height values for the entire rmd document:

---
title: "My Document"
output:
  html_document:
    fig_width: 6
    fig_height: 4
---

or set them for specific chunks.

```{r, fig.width=8, fig.height=4}
ggplot(...)
```

Does this answer your question?

Sherif

Frank

Jul 27, 2016, 2:13:38 PM7/27/16
to ggplot2

Hi Sherif,

Thank you for the solution, which almost solves my problem. To be more specific, I have a number of horizontal bar plots. The height of each plot depends on the number of bars in the plot. It seems I need to specify the plot height in my R code dynamically. Is there an approach to do that?

Thank you,

Frank

Sherif Soliman

Jul 27, 2016, 2:26:13 PM7/27/16
to ggp...@googlegroups.com

I think at this point there are too many clarification questions to ask and you should provide a reproducible example (ideally with a sketch/mockup of what you'd like to see) to help list members help you.

There would also be the question of "why". From what I understand, you would like to have multiple horizontal bar plots (stacked vertically or horizontally?) that vary their height to keep the height of each bar constant. I wonder if that's the best way to visualize whatever it is you want to visualize, and if maybe you should look into facet_grid or facet_wrap if you haven't already.

Sherif

Frank

Jul 27, 2016, 2:58:40 PM7/27/16
to ggplot2

Hi Sherif,

You are probably right; I need to rethink the plots.

Thank you,

Frank