coord_polar and output quality

David Ruvolo

Apr 3, 2015, 6:36:58 PM4/3/15
to ggp...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I am wondering if anyone has encountered "fuzzy" or "serrated" segment lines using coord_polar (see both images below) on Rstudio OSX. I've been trying to figure out how to smooth the lines (not referring to geom_smooth). Note the line between the 17.27% and 21.82%, compared to the blue segment. It appears that the slope of the line may effect the display quality, but I am not certain. The quality is the same between R and Rstudio. I am currently running the latests version of Rstudio and called packages (ggplot2, R ColorBrewer, etc.).

Does any one have any suggestions?

- David

Brandon Hurr

Apr 3, 2015, 8:31:29 PM4/3/15
to David Ruvolo, ggplot2
You could increase the dpi setting of the window or the output file. What platform are you on and what output method are you using?

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ggplot2" group.

Daniel Kalleward

Apr 4, 2015, 2:09:02 PM4/4/15
to ggp...@googlegroups.com
If I'm not mistaken, most modern OS X monitors have a 142 DPI. RStudio (I believe) uses 72 DPI, but only by default.

Here's a link on how to have higher output files, whether or not you're using ggplot2: http://www.cookbook-r.com/Graphs/Output_to_a_file/

David Ruvolo

Apr 5, 2015, 10:06:44 AM4/5/15
to ggp...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for your assistance Brandon and Daniel,

I am currently running Rstudio v0.98.1103 with R v 3.1.3 ("Smooth Sidewalk").

Recently, I started using coord_polar and yes, the issue was with the dpi settings. I was using the standard R studio export as image menu and noticed only the coord_polar plots were lacking the image quality as other plot types. I've switched over to ggsave and the graphs are coming out much better.

Thanks for you help!

David