License question

Anne Schlotheuber

Feb 4, 2016, 9:13:15 AM2/4/16
to ggplot2
Hello!

What license can I use for a shiny application that makes use of ggplot2?

If I understand correctly, ggplot2 has been released under the terms of the GPL-2. But does it say anywhere that it can be redistributed under the terms of a "GPL-2 or later" version? i.e. Could I also use the GPL-3 for my application?

Thanks in advance!

Hadley Wickham

Feb 4, 2016, 11:04:32 AM2/4/16
to Anne Schlotheuber, ggplot2
The license for ggplot2 is GPL-2, and it's very difficult to relicense
it (it would require the agreement of all copyright holders who are
now numerous). But in most cases you won't be "redistributing" a
shiny application - for example it's my understanding that deploying
to shinyapps.io does not count as distribution. But if you're really
concerned, you should obviously talk with a lawyer.

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/