Pie Chart with continuous Z axis.

Tristan Goodbody

Jan 12, 2017, 6:03:49 PM1/12/17
to ggplot2
Hello!

I have recently created a vast number of pie charts using ggplot (they look fantastic), but am wondering if its possible to add a continuous z axis to them.
I have 3 classes that I am representing the proportions of, but each class also has a height variable that I would like to display in the pie chart.
Is it possible to have a continuous Z axis that allows each section of the pie to individually have a Z value that is equal to its corresponding height variable?
In laymen terms, I want a pie that is divided into 3 colours and each colour will have a different 3D thickness.

I have attached an example of my pie chart to my query. Hopefully someone has some ideas :)

Thanks!

Tristan

ggplot_pie.png

Konstantinos L. Papageorgiou

Jan 12, 2017, 6:33:50 PM1/12/17
to ggp...@googlegroups.com

Hi Tristan, nice first results!

in case this helps you, note that people says that projecting in 3d, 2d data can influence in a bad way the perception of the data.
i.e. if you skew a circle to suggest 3d depth then equal pies will be skewed as well in-proportional thus representing an unsound story.

A potential solution to encode a 3rd variable in the graph, could be using opacity.
Cheers

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "ggplot2" group.

Tristan Goodbody

Jan 25, 2017, 3:07:36 PM1/25/17
to ggplot2, k...@eworx.gr
Thanks so much, Konstantinos!

That's something that hadn't crossed my mind! Great Idea!

Thanks for taking the time to reply!