Fwd: Computer programming and engineers needed as mentors

Nicole Kline

Jan 20, 2015, 5:10:37 PM1/20/15
to ggd-phl-...@googlegroups.com
Ladies,

Here's another wonderful opportunity forwarded along to us by Sarah Galbraith. It's to mentor elementary students for a school-based STEM fair.

Let me know if you need any additional information!

Thanks,

-Nicole

    Hi Sarah,

 A little while ago you were very kind and wrote an brief article about our mentoring needs for Geekadelphia.  We are about to start two new mentoring sessions in a few weeks and don't have enough volunteers.  I think part of the problem is my normal volunteer pool may not be the right fit.  But the Geekadelphia audience just might be perfect.  Therefore I think it would be amazing if we can share this with your audience.

 The two programs will be held at Lea Elementary in West Philadelphia, at 4700 Locust St, Philadelphia, PA 19139. The mentoring sessions run on Thursdays from Jan 29th-April 9th.

 The 7th grade classes are from 8:30-9:15am or 10:45-11:30am and they will work on creating devices which help people with physical challenges accomplish everyday things, such as tying their shoes or sitting up in bed.  Over ten weeks, small groups of students will work with a mentor to identify available products and their limitations, create a design for a new product, develop a prototype and test out their product.  At the end of the mentoring sessions, the students will compete in a school based STEM fair.

 The 8th grade class is from 1-1:45pm and the students will work in temas to create a text based adventure game in Python.  During the first few weeks, the students will learn the basics of computer programming before incorporating these lessons into their own program.  At the end of the ten sessions the students will compete in a school based STEM fair.

 I have attached a flyer on Lea's programs as well as another flyer on our afterschool opportunities, in case this can be of use.

 Please let me know if you are able to promote these programs or if there are any questions or concerns.
 Thank you!
 Meagan

Meagan Hopkins-Doerr
 iPraxis Program Director
 mea...@ipraxis.org
 www.iPraxis.org
 215-966-6253
 c: 267-253-6117

--
~*~*~*~

Nicole Kline
Designer, Cardboard Fortress Games
Senior Editor, Warp Zoned
Contributing Writer, Geekadelphia
Co-Founder, Girl Geek Dinners Philadelphia
Co-Organizer, GameLoop Philly
Doer, All of the Things
2015 Lea mentor flyer.doc
2015 afterschool clubs.doc