PyPy: Do you require PyPy < 2.6.1?

Jason Madden

Nov 23, 2015, 11:28:29 AM11/23/15
to gevent: coroutine-based Python network library
Hello PyPy users,

Do you still require support for versions of PyPy less than 2.6.1 (specifically, 2.6.0 and worse, 2.5.0/2.5.1)? These versions are lacking features that gevent needs to function reliably (specifically, signals cannot be properly handled on these older versions, along with a few other things). Supporting them requires gevent to go through contortions that are considered deprecated on more modern versions of PyPy (and so which might disappear in the future), making it harder to produce a 1.1 that we can guarantee support of for a reasonable amount of time: a recent chat with the PyPy developers revealed that it would be fairly difficult to support both the modern mechanisms and the older mechanisms at the same time.

For these reasons, I'd like to consider dropping support for PyPy < 2.6.1 for gevent 1.1 final. All the betas and even rc1 advertised support for < 2.6.1, so if there are community objections we can certainly keep support in 1.1...but that's likely to lead to a higher maintenance cost going forward.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Jason