Options for Google Cloud services and Gevent

smetj

Jan 24, 2018, 4:37:41 AM1/24/18
to gevent: coroutine-based Python network library
Hi Group,

I have a project which uses Gevent and would like to start Google Cloud services, ....
It seems the default client (https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/google-cloud-python) is a no-go as it doesn't work with Gevent.

Are some of you successfully using Google Cloud services in combination with Gevent?
If so, could you please share some details?

Many thanks,

Js

Matt Billenstein

Jan 24, 2018, 5:03:50 AM1/24/18
to gev...@googlegroups.com
What makes you think this doesn't work with gevent?

It looks to me like it just uses requests under the hood to talk to their http
json api, so if you at least don't share the client object among greenlets,
you're probably ok to use this with gevent and monkey-patching.

> --

Matt Billenstein
ma...@vazor.com
http://www.vazor.com/

smetj

Jan 24, 2018, 6:46:34 AM1/24/18
to gevent: coroutine-based Python network library

What makes you think this doesn't work with gevent?

Yeah I should've given some more context there

It seems coincidentally that the grpc issue got a "promising" update 2 days ago, ... but the issue is open since Jan 6, 2016 so forgive me for being skeptical and looking at options.

J.S

Matt Billenstein

Jan 24, 2018, 2:30:34 PM1/24/18
to gev...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 03:46:34AM -0800, smetj wrote:
> What makes you think this doesn't work with gevent?
>
> Yeah I should've given some more context there
> https://github.com/GoogleCloudPlatform/google-cloud-python/issues/3450A
> https://github.com/grpc/grpc/issues/4629
> It seems coincidentally that the grpc issue got a "promising" update 2
> days ago, ... but the issue is open sinceA Jan 6, 2016 so forgive me for
> being skeptical and looking at options.

Gotcha, I had only looked at storage which uses the http api. It appears only
a few of the subsystems use grpc (bigtable, datastore, pubsub, and speech) --
if you avoid those my guess is it would be fine to use gevent. I've used
gevent + requests + google-api-client and that's worked fine.