Gevent Slowness introduced between 1.1a1 and 1.1a2

grady player

Feb 13, 2016, 3:11:51 PM2/13/16
to gevent: coroutine-based Python network library
I just upgrade a server application that I have been working on to gevent 1.1rc3, and notice that it was very slow, it doesn't use a lot of processing power, so I think there is some IO blocking, I have done a lot of testing on lock timing and semantics, I don't think anything has changed...

I would like to help track it down, but I am not sure how to install an arbitrary version (something not in the pip repro). and I am also not sure what git hashes 1.1a1 and 1.1a2 are.... if I had that information, I could figure out where this is causing slowness for me (and possibly other people)

I am afraid that I can' really in a practical way provide an example script, the problems seem to be a matter of degree, and only show up when the server is under some load...

any help would be welcome, thank you.

Jason Madden

Feb 13, 2016, 4:32:15 PM2/13/16
to gev...@googlegroups.com

> On Feb 12, 2016, at 17:48, grady player <grady...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I would like to help track it down, but I am not sure how to install an arbitrary version (something not in the pip repro). and I am also not sure what git hashes 1.1a1 and 1.1a2 are.... if I had that information, I could figure out where this is causing slowness for me (and possibly other people)

All versions should still be available in PyPI, from 1.1a1 up through 1.1rc3. Even if they're not listed on the main page they can still be installed with, e.g., `pip install gevent==1.1a2`.

All these same versions are also tagged in the git repo; you can see the specific hashes and tag names at https://github.com/gevent/gevent/releases.

The github issue tracker might be a good place to continue to discuss this. We'll need to know details about your platform.

Jason Madden

Feb 16, 2016, 9:20:36 AM2/16/16
to gevent: coroutine-based Python network library

The IRC logs indicate that this may have been solved by upgrading a third-party dependency (bottle).

Grady Player

Feb 16, 2016, 3:25:13 PM2/16/16
to gev...@googlegroups.com
That is correct, an old version of bottle had an incompatibility with the gevent.local changes, it caused broken pipes and timeouts...

On Feb 16, 2016, at 7:20 AM, Jason Madden <ja...@nextthought.com> wrote:

The IRC logs indicate that this may have been solved by upgrading a third-party dependency (bottle).

Grady Player

Aug 17, 2017, 6:15:43 PM8/17/17
to gev...@googlegroups.com