Gevent VS the new asyncio core library

Pavel Rogovoy

Aug 24, 2016, 3:04:45 PM8/24/16
to gevent: coroutine-based Python network library
Hi,
What are your plans for gevent for the future given that asyncio is the core solution for asynchronous programming in python? Are you guys going to merge with asyncio? Do you actively contribute to the asyncio? I would appreciate your answer. Thank you!

Jason Madden

Aug 24, 2016, 3:06:36 PM8/24/16
to gev...@googlegroups.com

> On Aug 24, 2016, at 11:13, Pavel Rogovoy <p.ro...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> What are your plans for gevent for the future given that asyncio is the core solution for asynchronous programming in python? Are you guys going to merge with asyncio? Do you actively contribute to the asyncio? I would appreciate your answer. Thank you!

There has been some discussion here: https://github.com/gevent/gevent/issues/641

In summary, asyncio and gevent are very different and perform different functions in different ways. gevent will not be going away, and will not be require explicit coroutine switches ala asyncio. In the future it might be possible to integrate the event loops though.