Glimpse showing what is going on in another library (dll)

Mike

Mar 3, 2014, 5:04:52 PM3/3/14
to getglim...@googlegroups.com
This is my scenario.  I have a MVC 4 app installed Glimpse and it is working fine.  After that installed Glimpse EF and now I can see SQL tab with all the activity related to that.  So far everything is just working great.

Now, all my apps are using a separate library (dll) with security related stuff like custom membership and role providers.  I would like to be able to see the SQL that that library is generating.  I can see that some calls to my library are taken more than expected to complete but I can not see the actual time for SQL and other actions to complete.  I can profile my database to find out some of the needed information but it would be great to be able to get also all other information that Glimpse can provide.

Can Glimpse help me in this kind of scenario?  Is there any special configuration to make it work?  My library is also using EF.

Thanks.

Anthony van der Hoorn

Mar 4, 2014, 9:45:05 AM3/4/14
to getglim...@googlegroups.com
Hey Mike

When you say "I can see that some calls to my library are taken more than expected to complete but I can not see the actual time for SQL and other actions to complete." I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

Are you saying that the queries are showing up but they are missing the timing info or that you are seeing some quires but not others. If its the former, can you send through a screen shot, if its the later is it just the membership/role providers stuff that you aren't seeing the queries of?

Cheers
Anthony

Mike

Mar 4, 2014, 5:13:01 PM3/4/14
to getglim...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anthony,

Thank you for your answer.  What I'm saying is that I cannot see any SQL that is executed within the library.  On the execution tab I can see that one of the calls to the library is taking 14 seconds to complete. I would like to find out what inside the library is taking so long.  I know I can try to do that using database profiler and other tools but it would be really neat to be able to find that out with Glimpse.

Thank you.

Anthony van der Hoorn

Mar 5, 2014, 10:04:22 AM3/5/14
to getglim...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for being a little thick, but when you say within that library, are you talking about a library you have built or a dependency you have gotten from nuget or the gac, etc?

Mike

Mar 5, 2014, 12:09:21 PM3/5/14
to getglim...@googlegroups.com
It is a library that we built.  If I have to do changes to it to make it work I can do it.

Anthony van der Hoorn

Mar 5, 2014, 12:29:32 PM3/5/14
to getglim...@googlegroups.com
Ok getting it now. And what data access method does that use? Like are you using ado directly or using EF, etc?

Mike

Mar 10, 2014, 8:42:27 AM3/10/14
to getglim...@googlegroups.com
Finally got it working, the plan was to use EF but for some reason the team decided to use linq to SQL.  We change the implementation back to the original plan (EF) and now glimpse can "see" what is going on inside the library.  Thank you.

Anthony van der Hoorn

Mar 10, 2014, 10:06:36 AM3/10/14
to getglim...@googlegroups.com
Great to hear. In the future if you needed to get things workin with L2S that's definitely possible.