Testing Glimpse

Steve Ognibene

Jan 30, 2014, 5:41:11 PM1/30/14
to getglim...@googlegroups.com
I'll be spending some time this weekend testing the new Glimpse WebForms functionality with a few existing apps.  How do you guys test Glimpse with apps that are not part of the Glimpse.All solution?

I tried referencing the compiled DLLs directly and also running a simple PowerShell script to copy the Glimpse DLLs, PDBs, and dependencies to the bin folder of my web project.  These work, but I keep running into "file in use" errors at compile time which makes me have to keep quitting Visual Studio (Stack Overflow seemed to believe that this was due to IntelliSense refreshes).  Is there a better or easier way to do this, ideally one that allows hitting break points inside Glimpse?  Or am I just going to have to add the Glimpse projects to my solution and do it that way.  (I guess that's not as horrible as I originally thought now that I'm typing it out).  I'm willing to set up a private Debug Glimpse NuGet feed if that is a good way to do it, or any other more streamlined solution.  If you have an idea but it's not already available, I'm willing to write it.

Thanks all,

-Steve O

Anthony van der Hoorn

Jan 31, 2014, 3:55:30 PM1/31/14
to getglim...@googlegroups.com
There are a few ways that I test things like this. Firstly you can just download the source and add the projects as "existing projects" to your solution. This is fairly straight forward and tend to work fairly well. The other option that I tend to find works well is using the build script `default.ps1` to build the various nuget packages `> psake pack` and then reference it as a local repository - the output nuget packages will go into the `builds` folder.