SOA and Glimpse

Ilya Volodin

Feb 2, 2014, 1:45:55 PM2/2/14
to getglim...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I just found Glimpse a few days ago, and I'm loving the project. Added it to the website I'm working on, and it's providing a bunch of valuable information already.

However, my project is build using SOA. Website is just a presentation layer that access a bunch of services, and services do all of the heavy lifting. All services are written as stand-alone ServiceStack services (as in Windows Services, not IIS modules), and I'm using ServiceStack AjaxServiceClient to access them. I wrote a small Glimpse wrapper around ServiceClientBase (using global filters) that creates a new tab with the list of all calls to the services, as well as adds them into timeline (super useful for me, as I already found some unnecessary service calls). But I would like to do more. I would really like to collect information from services themselves, profile MongoDB access times, collect all RabbitMQ messages, etc. I'm wondering if anyone had to deal with something like this? I would like to avoid adding Glimpse to every service that I have (since I have 30+ of them, and some of them are maintained by other groups). Also, while Glimpse is proving itself very useful for QA and debugging, I still wouldn't feel very comfortable adding it to production environment, and since all of my builds and deployments are one-touch, I would need to write a lot of scripts to remove Glimpse from every individual service when deploying to prod.

I've seem an issue opened in Github that's related to this (https://github.com/Glimpse/Glimpse/issues/337), but I'm not sure the discussion in that thread would apply to ServiceStack services. Currently I'm thinking about adding some global filters on service side that collect data and add it to the header of each response, and then utilizing ServiceStack Glimpse plugin that I mentioned above to parse it and add it to Glimpse.

Any suggestions on alternative approaches would be great!

Thanks,

Ilya Volodin

Anthony van der Hoorn

Feb 6, 2014, 11:21:52 AM2/6/14
to getglim...@googlegroups.com
Your setup is definitely one that we want to support more and more just out of the box. Its a great use case and one I think Glimpse could do a great job of helping with.

With v2 coming around the corner this is something that you will be more easily able to support, but as of today, there are several items in place that you can take advantage of - you will be mainly looking at the IPersistenceStore.

Also, probably your best bet is to post a message on #337 and see if we can generate some interest around getting this work up and running. Its almost perfect timing as if we can get interest, that work can help validate the decisions we have made in v2 and we can make any other required breaking changes if they come up.

Cheers
Anthony