What is request duration?

Ozkan OZTURK

Sep 24, 2014, 9:42:01 AM9/24/14
to getglim...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

In host section of the heads up display, the first line is about request itself.

I see that the duration of the request is too high (~400ms). What does that line mean? Where should I check to make it faster?

Thank you.

Anthony van der Hoorn

Sep 25, 2014, 8:39:15 AM9/25/14
to getglim...@googlegroups.com
So the Host section is broken into 4 parts - http://blog.getglimpse.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/HUD_HTTP.png:
  • Request: Total request time from click to DOM ready
  • Wire: Total time on the network – including DNS lookup, sending of request, receiving response.
  • Server: Total time on the server
  • Client: Total time once client kicks in to dom ready

In terms of where too look. Typically the server is likely to have a lot of places you can make some quick wins.

Glimpse helps make this easy via the server tab - http://blog.getglimpse.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/HUD_Host_Pop.png. Here you can see and overview of how long the various parts are taking on the server.

Here is some documentation which goes further into the different aspects of HUD - http://getglimpse.com/Docs/Heads-up-Display.

Is this what you were after?

Ozkan OZTURK

Sep 25, 2014, 9:04:31 AM9/25/14
to getglim...@googlegroups.com
Hi Anthony,

Actually I'm asking a detail on that screen and I couldn't find any information about it.

As you can see on http://blog.getglimpse.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/HUD_Host_Pop.png, there is a list of actions and durations of these actions. First line is "Request: /" and I don't understand what does it mean.

I understand the lower lines but I don't understand that first line about request.

So I'm asking: What does that line mean? Where should I check to make it faster?

Sorry for my poor english.

Anthony van der Hoorn

Sep 25, 2014, 9:29:05 AM9/25/14
to getglim...@googlegroups.com
Ok got it. The time there is from Request start to Request finish. In terms of making it faster, you need to have a look at the parts that make it up... for instance, any actions, child actions or data access activities.

Most of the time it is data access that causes most of the issues. If that screen doesn't point directly to your problem, take a look at the Execution tab for more details on where things might be going wrong.

Cheers
Anthony