Glimpse still alive?

Markus Wagner

Sep 22, 2016, 6:33:29 AM9/22/16
to GetGlimpse-dev
I am wondering if Glimpse is still alive? The last changes I can see are from last year.

In detail, I want to use Glimpse in a classic ASP.NET web project using OWIN. With Glimpse 1, calls to glimpse.axd return only HTTP 404. I assume, I should use Glimpse 2, but there is only the old Beta 1 version.

Does it make sense to wait for Glimpse 2?

Markus

Nik Molnar

Sep 23, 2016, 1:22:29 PM9/23/16
to getglim...@googlegroups.com
Hi Markus!

Glimpse is certainly not dead, its just been slow going as we rebuild based on .NET Core.

That said, we don't have any immediate plans to support OWIN. Do you know if your app is compatible with .NET Core? I know there has been some sort of interop story with OWIN and ASP.NET Core in the past.

We have another beta of Glimpse 2 that supports the RTM of .NET Core. If you are interested in that, I can get you the setup and installation instructions.

Thanks,
Nik

Jon Davis

Oct 5, 2016, 9:58:10 PM10/5/16
to GetGlimpse-dev
So I'm confused, where is OWIN status in MVC 5 / ASP.NET 4 runtime? It looks like there was some prior efforts around three years ago @ https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!topic/getglimpse-dev/FCuTD-kgMnE
While I understand that ongoing OWIN support may not continue, did it get generally implemented?

Jon

Anthony van der Hoorn

Oct 6, 2016, 10:46:58 AM10/6/16
to getglim...@googlegroups.com
We attempted to create a direct abstraction that would allow Glimpse to work directly against OWIN, "Classic Asp.Net" and Asp.Net Core. This abstraction was very painful and turned out to be difficult to maintain. Additionally the experence for plugin authors was very weird, as they needed to create implementations using our abstractions instead of the abstraction that the underlying platforms natively supported. This abstraction did mean that a plugin author (and us) could in theory write an implementation once, but in reality it was never that simple.

Hence our strategy moving forward is as follows (note we are open to feedback), we will support OWIN for Core using the following - https://docs.asp.net/en/latest/fundamentals/owin.html. We will have a version of Glimpse that works directly again Asp.Net Core and ultimately one that work for  "Classic Asp.Net". From a package perspective, the difference between "Classic Asp.Net" and Asp.Net Core support will hopefully be transparent to the user, but that is further out than where we are at the moment.

In terms of progress as Nik said, things are definitely alive and kicking. We are a small team attempting to something very ambitious and need more time for the bits to land. We appreciate your patients and we should have more ready to go soon.