Data StackExchange

Jeremy Dunck

Apr 9, 2013, 5:32:03 PM4/9/13
to get-t...@googlegroups.com, bay-area-data-...@googlegroups.com
There's a proposed StackExchange for data nerds over here:

http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/51674/open-data

StackExchange is a general Q&A site format, and it requires a
demonstration of critical mass in order to create the forum for a
specific topic. I'd love to see a StackExchange for open data.

If you agree, please sign up/in and either upvote questions you think
are good (preferably the ones which are below 10 upvotes currently) or
add your own wished-for questions.

Thanks. :)

Jeremy Dunck

Apr 9, 2013, 6:47:07 PM4/9/13
to bay-area-data-...@googlegroups.com, get-t...@googlegroups.com
I can see that point of view - I agree they do overfragment - but I
also think that having a thing more specific than "all programming
topics" is useful. So we're debating where to draw the line, and that
is a pretty hard question to answer -
http://www.shirky.com/writings/ontology_overrated.html

On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 3:45 PM, Joseph Turian <jos...@metaoptimize.com> wrote:
> People have been using the MetaOptimize QA for this purpose:
>
> http://metaoptimize.com/qa/search/?q=data&Submit=search&t=question
>
> I personally disagree with the stackexchange approach of fragmenting
> the data community into: AI, ML, statistics, NLP, data mining, etc.
>
> The original StackOverflow was for programmers of all stripes, and
> that model makes more sense for communities that naturally
> crosspolinate, like data.
>> --
>>

> --
> Joseph Turian, Ph.D. | President, MetaOptimize
> "Optimize Profits. Optimize Engagement."
> http://metaoptimize.com
> 855-ALL-DATA
>
> The web's best forum for data scientists: http://metaoptimize.com/qa/

Jeremy Dunck