Bulk delicious export?

Joseph Turian

Dec 16, 2010, 5:17:38 PM12/16/10
to get-t...@googlegroups.com
Since delicious is being shut down
(http://techcrunch.com/2010/12/16/is-yahoo-shutting-down-del-icio-us/)
a lot of users are like:
WHERE SHOULD WE PUT OUR DATA?
(e.g. http://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=2013610)

I don't have the web skills, but this seems like a great opportunity
to aggregate delicious export data, and release it as a social tagging
dataset. All that is necessary is a web interface that takes a user's
delicious username + password, and gets the bulk data, for a later
dump.

I can help promote the site so that it reaches a bunch of users,
assuming you will freely share the exported data.

Best,
Joseph

Danny Ayers

Dec 16, 2010, 7:30:41 PM12/16/10
to get-t...@googlegroups.com
for what it's worth, here's details of a script to convert the
del.icio.us export format (Netscape Bookmarks) into RDF:

http://dannyayers.com/2010/12/17/del.icio.us-bookmarks-to-RDF

- so if anyone has a triplestore handy...

> --

http://danny.ayers.name

Rufus Pollock

Dec 17, 2010, 4:37:56 AM12/17/10
to get-t...@googlegroups.com
On 17 December 2010 00:30, Danny Ayers <danny...@gmail.com> wrote:
> for what it's worth, here's details of a script to convert the
> del.icio.us export format (Netscape Bookmarks) into RDF:
>
> http://dannyayers.com/2010/12/17/del.icio.us-bookmarks-to-RDF
>
> - so if anyone has a triplestore handy...

We (http://okfn.org/) probably do and it would be great to get this
data out (I've personally been a long-time user too).

Also shows why using an open service [1] matters!

Rufus

[1]: http://opendefinition.org/software-service/

Danny Ayers

Dec 17, 2010, 4:47:30 AM12/17/10
to get-t...@googlegroups.com
On 17 December 2010 10:37, Rufus Pollock <rufus....@okfn.org> wrote:
> On 17 December 2010 00:30, Danny Ayers <danny...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> for what it's worth, here's details of a script to convert the
>> del.icio.us export format (Netscape Bookmarks) into RDF:
>>
>> http://dannyayers.com/2010/12/17/del.icio.us-bookmarks-to-RDF
>>
>> - so if anyone has a triplestore handy...
>
> We (http://okfn.org/) probably do and it would be great to get this
> data out (I've personally been a long-time user too).

Cool!

I've been nosing around the del.icio.us API etc and there doesn't seem
any way of getting bulk data out without very painful scraping, so
unless anyone has a friendly contact at del.icio.us/Yahoo! Joseph's
suggestion of a service which you give your user name & password seems
the best bet.

--
http://danny.ayers.name

Ed Summers

Dec 18, 2010, 1:18:50 PM12/18/10
to get-t...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately it looks like the only way to get the bulk export for a
user is to be logged in as that user. It would be great if Yahoo would
release the public bookmarks somehow as a gesture of goodwill. I
imagine it would be an interesting dataset, particularly for analysis
of linkrot on the web over the lifespan of delicioius. I'm not sure
who we could talk to about that... But I guess if they are looking to
sell not close then this would be unlikely.

//Ed