Install instructions?

Anika Halota

Oct 13, 2016, 2:34:26 PM10/13/16
to geotrellis-user
Can someone point me towards installation instructions?

geotrellis.io has almost no information on it.
The readme doc just says "learning to use this is difficult." and points me towards a bunch of directions for sub-libraries.

Maybe I totally missed it, but is there an installation instruction document anywhere?

Rob Emanuele

Oct 13, 2016, 4:57:25 PM10/13/16
to geotrel...@googlegroups.com

Hi Anika,

Thanks on feedback about the site. It's useful to know people are frustrated with the info there. Any specific suggestions would be helpful.

As far as installation goes, there's not really an "install" for geotrellis - it's a developer toolkit/library/framework used to develop applications in scala against geospatial data large and small. So to use it, you need to rely on it in a scala application that you develop.

A good code base to look at to get started is: https://github.com/geotrellis/geotrellis-landsat-tutorial.

Cheers,
Rob

Anika Halota

Oct 13, 2016, 6:25:55 PM10/13/16
to geotrel...@googlegroups.com

I've never worked with any of the languages/programs used (skala, hadoop,spark), so a list of what i need to have installed on my computer before i get started would be really helpful. I'll take a look at the tutorial you linked, perhaps it tells me that.
It'd be great to have a basic walkthrough from zero-to-example-webpage, (with links to external resources where needed,  such as installing hadoop etc. Im guessing)

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "geotrellis-user" group.