SSL issues

Clint Peterson

Feb 21, 2012, 9:45:42 AM2/21/12
to geoPlugin
I ran across a post about SSL issues that were resolved by a user
donating enough to cover a commercial SSL cert for www.geoplugin.net.

http://groups.google.com/group/geoplugin/browse_thread/thread/9da3e60572cdd1c5

Is this still a possibility?

Thank you

geoPlugin Support

Feb 21, 2012, 11:45:31 AM2/21/12
to geop...@googlegroups.com
Certificate valid until march 15th, 2012
https://ssl.geoplugin.net/xml.gp

----
geoPlugin Support
gp_su...@geoplugin.com

http://www.geoplugin.com/

Orange

Mar 12, 2012, 2:55:22 PM3/12/12
to geop...@googlegroups.com
I am getting an email for the expiration of SSL Certificate on March 15th.  Its from Godaddy.com.  Is there anything that I need to do?
Will the SSL version continue to work after March 15th?

On Feb 21, 2012, at 3:45 PM, Clint Peterson wrote:

> I ran across a post about SSL issues that were resolved by a user
> donating enough to cover a commercial SSL cert for www.geoplugin.net.
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/geoplugin/browse_thread/thread/9da3e60572cdd1c5
>
> Is this still a possibility?
>
> Thank you

geoPlugin Support

Mar 15, 2012, 2:38:41 PM3/15/12
to geop...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Yes, the new SSL certificate is programmed to be replaced, but until the old one expires, we can't do anything, since the certificate was purchased by a contributor and not geoPlugin.
A donation allowed geoPlugin to purchase a new certificate, and this will be signed when the old one expires, which will mean there will likely be a 6-hour window when the old one expires and the new one is installed.

Sorry for this confusion.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/geoplugin/-/1N41j9BWhaQJ.

Bitsum Technologies

Mar 15, 2012, 5:54:53 PM3/15/12
to geop...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I hope this does not cause a disruption in service. You know, you guys should have some way to monetize your service, other than asking for donations. Too many users rely on it. Surely to goodness some portion would pay for increased reliability, or something. I don't know, and surely it is something you've thought about more than myself. There is no shame in charging a fair price for a fair service.

Jeremy Collake
Bitsum Technologies

geoPlugin Support

Mar 16, 2012, 3:03:29 AM3/16/12
to geop...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
It appears that the advice I got from godaddy was misleading. Apparently the previous owner of the certificate needs to revoke the existing (now expired) certificate before a new one can be purchased.
I've requested the previous owner do this and hope it can be revoked in a timely fashion. If not, I'll have to put the certificate on a different subdomain and have the ssl subdomain redirect there.

Sorry about this.

Bitsum Technologies

Mar 16, 2012, 3:25:54 AM3/16/12
to geop...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

This does not sound right at all. For instance, I bought an SSL certificate weeks before my old one expired and installed it; no revocation or other issues to be had. Both SSL certs overlapped for a period of time.

Jeremy Collake
Bitsum Technologies

geoPlugin Support

Mar 16, 2012, 3:38:33 AM3/16/12
to geop...@googlegroups.com
Yes, but you had control of that certificate - the current certificate was purchased by someone else, not geoplugin.
This is what I am seeing:
Common name ssl.geoplugin.net is already present in a current certificate

After contacting godaddy support a month back they replied:

"Thank you for contacting Online Support. This would indicate that the certificate exists in another account. You would need to login to this account and revoke that certificate or have the person who has access to that certificate do so."

I have installed a self-signed certificate to prevent expiry errors until this can be resolved.
Andy

Jeremy.Collake

Mar 16, 2012, 3:41:08 AM3/16/12
to geoPlugin
Of course, I did not use GoDaddy, so perhaps their policies are
different (I don't know if they act as their own root CA or not). I do
know that I have never encountered a mandate that an expired, or even
unexpired, SSL certificate had to be revoked before getting a new one
for the same domain.

Jeremy Collake
Bitsum Technologies
http://bitsum.com

On Mar 16, 3:25 am, Bitsum Technologies <supp...@bitsum.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This does not sound right at all. For instance, I bought an SSL certificate
> weeks before my old one expired and installed it; no revocation or other
> issues to be had. Both SSL certs overlapped for a period of time.
>
> Jeremy Collake
> Bitsum Technologieshttp://bitsum.com
>
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 3:03 AM, geoPlugin Support <gp_supp...@geoplugin.com
>

> > wrote:
> > Hi,
> > It appears that the advice I got from godaddy was misleading. Apparently
> > the previous owner of the certificate needs to revoke the existing (now
> > expired) certificate before a new one can be purchased.
> > I've requested the previous owner do this and hope it can be revoked in a
> > timely fashion. If not, I'll have to put the certificate on a different
> > subdomain and have the ssl subdomain redirect there.
>
> > Sorry about this.
>
> >  ----
> > geoPlugin Support
> > gp_supp...@geoplugin.com
>
> >http://www.geoplugin.com/
>
> > On Mar 15, 2012, at 10:54 PM, Bitsum Technologies wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > I hope this does not cause a disruption in service. You know, you guys
> > should have some way to monetize your service, other than asking for
> > donations. Too many users rely on it. Surely to goodness some portion would
> > pay for increased reliability, or something. I don't know, and surely it is
> > something you've thought about more than myself. There is no shame in
> > charging a fair price for a fair service.
>
> > Jeremy Collake
> > Bitsum Technologies
> >http://bitsum.com
>
> > On Thu, Mar 15, 2012 at 2:38 PM, geoPlugin Support <
> > gp_supp...@geoplugin.com> wrote:
>
> >> Hi,
> >> Yes, the new SSL certificate is programmed to be replaced, but until the
> >> old one expires, we can't do anything, since the certificate was purchased
> >> by a contributor and not geoPlugin.
> >> A donation allowed geoPlugin to purchase a new certificate, and this will
> >> be signed when the old one expires, which will mean there will likely be a
> >> 6-hour window when the old one expires and the new one is installed.
>
> >> Sorry for this confusion.
>
> >>  ----
> >> geoPlugin Support
> >> gp_supp...@geoplugin.com
>
> >>http://www.geoplugin.com/
>
> >> On Mar 12, 2012, at 7:55 PM, Orange wrote:
>
> >> I am getting an email for the expiration of SSL Certificate on March
> >> 15th.  Its from Godaddy.com.  Is there anything that I need to do?
> >> Will the SSL version continue to work after March 15th?

Bitsum Technologies

Mar 16, 2012, 3:43:27 AM3/16/12
to geop...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Ah, yea, that does make sense now - come to think of it. Since you are not the owner, it creates a question of who IS the rightful owner. Oh well, I am seeing the self-signed certificate now.

Jeremy Collake
Bitsum Technologies

Bitsum Technologies

Mar 16, 2012, 3:53:00 AM3/16/12
to geop...@googlegroups.com
The self-signed certificate seems to work fine in implementation, as far as I can tell. So, all is right with the world. Better to have a current, self-signed one than an expired one... though I wish you luck in getting a certificate re-issued, for a different subdomain if you have to. I am thankful for your services, and also do apologize for not originally understanding the issues that could arise when someone else 'donates' a certificate to you ;o.

I recommend setting up a 'SSL Cert' donation fund to prepare to buy one yourself for a new subdomain (unless that guy is found). So many servers utilize your services, surely if everyone chipped in ....

Jeremy Collake
Bitsum Technologies

geoPlugin Support

Mar 17, 2012, 6:23:02 AM3/17/12
to geop...@googlegroups.com
The new certificate has been installed and working correctly.
Sorry for this small hiccup!

Andy

Bitsum Technologies

Mar 17, 2012, 6:27:36 AM3/17/12
to geop...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Great!

I can verify that SSL requests work fine without having to make modifications to allow for self-signed certificates on the client side. Excellent ;).

I hope all those who user this service will consider giving a small fee every month. The usefulness of the service, at least to me (mostly a freeware author), is well worth a few bucks every month. This will surely only result in further improved services and speed (not that either is deficient in any way).

Jeremy Collake

Bitsum Technologies

Mar 17, 2012, 6:54:13 AM3/17/12
to geop...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Strike that, it appears to be showing the wrong certificate (at least for me). I'm getting one that expired 2/14/2012. Unless there is a subdomain I should know.

geoPlugin Support

Mar 17, 2012, 7:14:53 AM3/17/12
to geop...@googlegroups.com
https://ssl.geoplugin.net/xml.gp ??

I think you're using the secure.geoplugin.net subdomain that was abandoned in favour of ssl.geoplugin.net.
A 301 redirect from secure->ssl will solve this confusion I think.
lmk

Bitsum Technologies

Mar 17, 2012, 7:28:56 AM3/17/12
to geop...@googlegroups.com
Ah, yes, got it. I was not using the correct subdomain for SSL. I see the valid cert now. Thanks ;).

Jeremy Collake
Bitsum, LLC