How To Get Back ARM Support in Genymotion 2.0+

Jordan

Nov 15, 2013, 8:56:01 PM11/15/13
to genymoti...@googlegroups.com
With the coming of Genymotion v2.0 they removed the ARM Translator(libhoudini.so) from the images so you can no longer run ARM apps on Genymotion. I found this a pain so I went and made a way to get it back. All it involves is one ZIP file(or two if you want Google Apps as well). Check out my post on XDA for the complete How-To:
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2528952

Jiancong Xie

Nov 15, 2013, 8:59:04 PM11/15/13
to Jordan, genymoti...@googlegroups.com
That's great! Thanks, Jordan.

Actually I don't know why Genymotion decide to remove ARM translator.
This is very important for compatible with apps in real phone market.

2013/11/16 Jordan <japz...@gmail.com>:

Jordan

Nov 15, 2013, 9:08:57 PM11/15/13
to genymoti...@googlegroups.com, Jordan
It still has some bugs because I haven't yet been able to find all the libs(most came from old AndroVM images), but the problems so far have only been with games. If anybody still has the old Genymotion VB images that came with ARM support that'd help a lot. All I need is the *_systemdisk.vmdk

Thanks

maurice prout

Nov 16, 2013, 2:06:19 AM11/16/13
to genymoti...@googlegroups.com
Maybe a story of rights? For google apps (owned by Google) and for the arm libs? No?

Jiancong Xie

Nov 16, 2013, 4:50:23 AM11/16/13
to maurice prout, genymoti...@googlegroups.com
arm libs related to Intel, for buzz.

2013/11/16 maurice prout <mauric...@gmail.com>:
> Maybe a story of rights? For google apps (owned by Google) and for the arm libs? No?

Jordan

Nov 16, 2013, 8:34:07 AM11/16/13
to genymoti...@googlegroups.com
It might be related to Genymotion going comercial and Intel wanting licensing payments because of the switch. Android-x86 still has Libhoudini, so I think it is a matter of using Intel's creation for profit.

Jordan

Nov 16, 2013, 11:47:01 AM11/16/13
to genymoti...@googlegroups.com
UPDATE v1.1
Thanks to the help of Michael Z. I've been able to get newer, more stable Houdini libs. They should fix many of the hangs and crashes I and some other people were running into. Just head over to the XDA page to download the updated ZIP.

Let me know if you have any issues

al...@stayalfred.com

Dec 11, 2013, 6:01:44 PM12/11/13
to genymoti...@googlegroups.com
Any updates recently for the ARM translation? I have it going on my genymotion however Clash of Clans crashes about every 2 minutes. would this be related to the ARM translation? I have tried multiple emulators on different versions of Android and it does the same thing with all of them.

Jordan

Dec 11, 2013, 6:30:31 PM12/11/13
to genymoti...@googlegroups.com
Yeah it seems related to the ARM translation OpenGL libs, but I can't fix it unless I get newer LibHoudini files which aren't easy to come by. Even then I can't guarantee that the problem lies solely with LibHoudini. So for now we'll just have to deal with these problems in OpenGL apps. Sorry. If OpenGL apps are critical for you. I've heard that Bluestacks has decent ARM and OpenGL support and works with ADB now, so you can give it a try until Genymotion gets more bugs sorted out that may be causing our problems. I'd welcome any feedback from someone with more Android development experience, to shed more light on the issue.

al...@stayalfred.com

Dec 11, 2013, 6:39:10 PM12/11/13
to genymoti...@googlegroups.com
I appreciate the info! I have tried bluestacks on my macbook and messed with it quite a bit but I cant get clash of clans to install at all. The app store says it is incompatible with the device I am using and if I just drag an apk into the player it says error parsing or something like that. hopefully these bugs dont last too long!

James Farrier

Feb 19, 2014, 5:16:30 PM2/19/14
to genymoti...@googlegroups.com, al...@stayalfred.com
Works for me on 4.3 but not on 4.4.2.  Anyone have any ideas as to why?

Jordan

Feb 19, 2014, 8:08:08 PM2/19/14
to genymoti...@googlegroups.com, al...@stayalfred.com
Can you give more info? In what way is it not working? Are the apps crashing? Is the VM not starting? Is the ZIP not flashing?

Mia Reggeti

Apr 19, 2014, 4:26:48 PM4/19/14
to genymoti...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jordan.

Unfortunately the phone does not let me flash it (Sony Xperia S, Android 4.1.1, API 16, GenyMotion, Host: Ubuntu 13.10 64-bit). As normal, a "File Transfer in Progress..." window appears, then a dialog pops up asking me if I would like to flash it. I click on "Yes", and the "File Transfer in Progress..." window re-appears. Then I get an error like "Oops! Error flashing.". Tried it a couple of times, and same result.

So I gave up and went on to add some contacts. However, when I opened the application, it automatically closed saying "Unfortunately, Contacts has stopped". Same thing happened with "File Manager", "Settings", "Gallery", "WhatsApp", "Browser", etc. I tried restarting phone, but it got stuck in the android splash screen. Re-installing didn't help. Installing another phone ended up with (Virtualbox was unable to assign IP address). Solution: delete ~/.genymobile/Devices/*/* , and re-installing the phone from scratch. Have a running phone, but would like to have ARM and Google Play support.

Any help/workarounds appreciated.

Rahul

May 29, 2014, 5:01:06 AM5/29/14
to genymoti...@googlegroups.com
I had the same issue. so i tried to flash manually from abd. if you drop a zip on Genymotion player window, it'll be copied to /sdcard/Downloads/. so it's still there. if you haven't dropped it, you'll need to push it using, adb push local-file /sdcard/Downloads/.

abd shell
/system/bin/flash-archive.sh /sdcard/Downloads/Genymotion-ARM-Translation_v1.1.zip

Though i am still not able to run games with arm libs.
Running Genymotion 2.2.0. Android 4.1.1 Nexus 4.

hope this helps.

Daniel Benabou

Oct 16, 2014, 9:21:08 AM10/16/14
to genymoti...@googlegroups.com
can any one here help me run the game "game of War" on genymotion... i have tried everything i can and know how...

thanks

Sufian Babri

Oct 21, 2014, 7:08:10 AM10/21/14
to genymoti...@googlegroups.com
I can confirm it doesn't work. Soon after splashscreem, game goes black.

David Grim

Mar 23, 2015, 12:41:50 PM3/23/15
to genymoti...@googlegroups.com
Has anyone ever been able to get Geny to work with ARM? I know I've been having issues for a while now with Star Wars Force Collection Version 3.0 don't work at all so I have to use 2.7 but it locks up and crashes after a min or so. I tried every combo of 4.2 4.3. 4.4 and ARM 1.1 but nothing seems to work. Since I don't use Geny professionally there is no way I'm paying for the full version. They make you pay for a whole year and if it doesn't work what a waste of money... If anyone has a working VM I can download that would be great. Just dropbox it and email me. :)

Edmond Wong

May 7, 2015, 10:32:39 PM5/7/15
to genymoti...@googlegroups.com

Hey mates,

Anyone using the paid full version of genymotion can confirm a better ARM Translator? I too was hoping games like clash of clans and star wars force collection would work. Is it really just ARM, or another problem?

Is there a log file in geny to tell us why a game opens and goes back to the home screen? At least give us a clue what we are dealing with?

Clearly frustrated as bluestacks works quite well, I just don't like its interface. I'm no expert but could we migrate some "files" from bluestack to geny?

Hope to hear from you guys soon

Julien Bolard

May 8, 2015, 4:30:46 AM5/8/15
to Edmond Wong, genymoti...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

They are no differences between the paid and the free version in term of app support. If the app does not work in the free version, it will not be better.

The logcat should contains the crash log of the app and should give a clue of the problem.