Instagram on Genymotion

Pritesh Desai

Jan 15, 2014, 7:48:22 AM1/15/14
to genymoti...@googlegroups.com
I tried to install Instagram on Nexus 4.1 virtual device currently on API 16.
I get the 'Incompatible Device' error saying that this device doesn't meet the minimum camera requirements.

I've tried to install 'Market Helper' to spoof the device but it (Market Helper) crashes every time.

How to get instagram working on Genymotion?

Jordan

Jan 16, 2014, 3:54:01 PM1/16/14
to genymoti...@googlegroups.com
Did you make sure the "camera" is enabled via the button on the side of the Genymotion window? Also did you make sure that you installed ARM Translation support?

Pritesh Desai

Jan 16, 2014, 9:37:50 PM1/16/14
to genymoti...@googlegroups.com
What is ARM translation support?

I didn't try to start instagram with my web cam attached. I will try that once.

Pritesh Desai

Jan 16, 2014, 10:36:09 PM1/16/14
to genymoti...@googlegroups.com
I attached a webcam and turned the camera option on in genymotion. Still the same error.

Jordan

Jan 19, 2014, 10:36:12 PM1/19/14
to genymoti...@googlegroups.com
ARM Translation is basically adding support to run apps compiled for ARM cpus. Most mobile devices use ARM cpus, but Genymotion runs on your laptop which is using a x86(Intel/AMD) cpu. Basically, ARM apps can't run directly on x86 cpus so you have to add software that will emulate an ARM cpu environment, that's ARM Translation. Instagram doesn't support x86 cpus(lazy devs) so you'll have to add ARM Translation support to your Genymotion VM. To do so, install the Android SDK from the Android Developer site, and then follow my guide here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2528952

ARM Translation isn't a magic bullet though. It's not perfect so you will run into apps that will be buggy or flat out crash. Since the ARM Translation software is made by Intel, we can't make improvements or fix bugs ourselves, so we're stuck waiting for new builds to leak out when a new x86 Android device is released with it(not many). Also computers powered by AMD cpus have been found to cause more problems in apps because the ARM Translation is made by Intel and optimized for their cpus.

Pritesh Desai

Jan 20, 2014, 8:55:53 AM1/20/14
to genymoti...@googlegroups.com
:) Thank you Jordan. It worked!

Instagram is now running fine.

Jordan Pt

Feb 21, 2014, 10:12:44 AM2/21/14
to Rasool Fatemi, genymoti...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, Have you tried using the same Image Pritesh used, Nexus 4 running 4.1/api16? Also make sure you enable the Camera, it's supposed to only by installable on devices with a camera so it might throw a fit otherwise. I don't use Instagram so I've never checked it's compatibility myself.

On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 6:56 AM, Rasool Fatemi <rmfa...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey jordan I got the same problem. I did the steps and now I'm not getting compatibility issue. It's installed (instagram) but it doesn't run. (says unfortunately instagram has stopped working) and then closes it. help me please, thanks :)

Message has been deleted