Alternatives to the Ftp

Federico Galati

Aug 21, 2015, 4:16:32 AM8/21/15
to geneva-w...@googlegroups.com
Who is using and what technology your organisation is pls running or has adopted instead of Ftp (Cloud based: dropbox, wetransfer.com - Proprietary - etc...) mainly for sending and receiving files, files sharing tools. any hints or advise is also welcome

Thanks and kind regards, Fede

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments are intended for specific individuals or entities, and may be confidential, proprietary or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, delete this message and do not disclose,  distribute or copy it to any third party or otherwise use this message. The content of this message does not necessarily reflect the official position of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) unless specifically stated. Electronic messages are not secure or error free and may contain viruses or may be delayed, and the sender is not liable for any of these occurrences.
  Please do not print this e-mail unless absolutely necessary - SAVE PAPER

Genc Kastrati

Aug 21, 2015, 8:40:34 AM8/21/15
to Federico Galati, geneva-w...@googlegroups.com
SFTP or FTPS :)

Is this for transfering files to servers (like project files, etc)? Or is it more to share between different parties?

For the first GitHub is good. Have been using it to deploy code on servers. For the second, Google Drive, DropBox, and for work mainly wetransfer.com). The only thing about WeTransfer is that people forget to download their files systematically and you have to re-upload since the links expire (not really a problem I guess).

The Geneva Web Group is a Community of Practice for Internet professionals. Informal meetings are held in Geneva, Switzerland 3-4 times per year.
---

Kanti Kumar

Aug 21, 2015, 10:58:23 AM8/21/15
to Federico Galati, geneva-w...@googlegroups.com
Hi Federico,

We have been using ShareFile (https://www.sharefile.com/), which Citrix bought, as a corporate solution for 5 years now. It's good if you have really large files/data and need to make them available for downloads in the long term. We use it to provide links for quick downloads from our website of our governing body meeting documents. And for transferring large multimedia files between different locations.

Kanti

--
The Geneva Web Group is a Community of Practice for Internet professionals. Informal meetings are held in Geneva, Switzerland 3-4 times per year.
---

Kanti Kumar

Kanti.me