Orphans on Websites

Federico Galati

Dec 5, 2017, 4:02:45 AM12/5/17
to geneva-w...@googlegroups.com
Dear friends, colleagues, community, I need your help
I'm struggling to identify how we can find orphans, unlinked or on their own files from a Website. There seems none of the software or tools I have tested are good enough, Xenu, Screamfrog etc... scanning the site. Also because sometimes orphans are in there for a reason, maybe not linked from the site itself but from an external source or referenced accordingly.
Do you have THE Solution. This would really help. Have you experienced it already?

Many thanks and regards - Most SEASONS GREETINGS to all, Fede

The information contained in this electronic message and any attachments are intended for specific individuals or entities, and may be confidential, proprietary or privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately, delete this message and do not disclose,  distribute or copy it to any third party or otherwise use this message. The content of this message does not necessarily reflect the official position of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO) unless specifically stated. Electronic messages are not secure or error free and may contain viruses or may be delayed, and the sender is not liable for any of these occurrences.
  Please do not print this e-mail unless absolutely necessary - SAVE PAPER

Antoine Fournier

Dec 5, 2017, 6:30:46 AM12/5/17
to Geneva Web Group
Hello Fred,

I don't think there is any magic for that, beyond building your own routine based on :
1. getting  a list of all the pages created by your CMS
2. geting the list of all the pages found by a spider tool
3. spotting differences and analyzing the two lists

Efficiency will probably come using the right tool for each (the one you quote plus Piwik/GA, etc..)

Have a nice day,
Antoine

Corinne Perriraz

Dec 11, 2017, 4:37:12 AM12/11/17
to Geneva Web Group
Hi,
Interesting question! We are also precisely in the middle of a major house cleaning. As for Antoine, we haven't found a better solution than comparing inventories from our CMS with that of SiteImprove. And making extensive use of our broken links tool to catch the errors. For pages, manageable, but not a  piece of cake for documents and images, because of the volumes. But good that we have an efficient recycle bin that allows to easily and quickly retrieve what was deleted by mistake. I'd love to heaver about efficient tools in this area!
Corinne