Chrome update causing issues?

Paul Fairless

Jul 23, 2015, 2:49:48 PM7/23/15
to Geb User Mailing List
Hi,

Since yesterday, I've started getting a lot of stale element reference exceptions and failures in at checkers, especially when using the element.click(pageClass) syntax. I suspect it's related to a recent update of chrome, as we've not made any code changes between working & failing tests. This has happened locally and on CI.

I've tried updating to latest versions of both Geb & selenium drivers without success.

Anybody else experiencing issues?

Thanks
Paul

Brian Kotek

Jul 23, 2015, 3:46:47 PM7/23/15
to geb-...@googlegroups.com
Hmm...Googling for recent Webdriver stale element problems with Chrome doesn't turn up much. I would think if a recent Chrome update caused this, more people would be talking about it?

Paul Fairless

Jul 23, 2015, 4:02:40 PM7/23/15
to Geb User Mailing List, bria...@gmail.com
Yeah - I had a check before posting, wasn't sure if it might be something specific to Geb.

I've also been getting a lot of failures on page verification checks - adding a Thread.sleep makes it pass (obviously I don't want to), so was suspecting a timing issue related to page loading. But like you say, would expect others to be having similar issues.

geb.error.UnexpectedPageException: Page verification failed for page IndexPage after clicking an element
at geb.navigator.NonEmptyNavigator.click(NonEmptyNavigator.groovy:477)
at geb.content.TemplateDerivedPageContent.click(TemplateDerivedPageContent.groovy:27)
Caused by: Assertion failed:

title == 'Index Page'
|     |
|     false
Start Page

Brian Kotek

Jul 23, 2015, 4:26:42 PM7/23/15
to Paul Fairless, Geb User Mailing List
Does this also happen if you use Firefox or PhantomJS?

chandra shekar

Oct 6, 2015, 12:28:07 AM10/6/15
to Geb User Mailing List
My Selenium tests against Chrome 44.0.2403 are runing fine...few days back it was automatically updated to Chrome Version 45.0.2454.101 and there were lots of stale element reference exceptions!!
Not happening against FF or IE browsers

_chandra

Oct 6, 2015, 6:37:11 PM10/6/15
to Geb User Mailing List
Almost Every test is throwing the stale element exceptions.
Are there any workarounds?

Am adding this one which is fine so far. But i believe this cant be added at every element level in my framework.
// to avoid stale reference exception
public static boolean retryingFind(By by) {
        boolean result = false;
        int attempts = 0;
        while(attempts < 5)

        {
        try {
        _driver.findElement(by);
        result = true;
        break;
        }
        catch(StaleElementReferenceException e)
        {
        }
        attempts++;
        }

        return result;

Brian Kotek

Oct 6, 2015, 8:31:10 PM10/6/15
to Geb User Mailing List
Are you using the latest ChromeDriver?

_chandra

Oct 7, 2015, 8:01:10 PM10/7/15
to Geb User Mailing List
No I guess - was using 2.18...today after downloading 2.19 driver. the exceptions are gone