Google Gears on Iphone

BlackHawk

Sep 19, 2008, 5:27:50 AM9/19/08
to Gears Users
Hello,

I would like to ask to you whether API Google Gears will support
Iphone in the next months? And also which other types of telephones?

I would also like to know if there exists already a method to use
Google Gears on Iphone?

Thank you to answer me quickly, I make a project and if it is the case
I will use Google Gears.

Better greetings.

Jeremy Moskovich

Sep 19, 2008, 12:28:30 PM9/19/08
to gears...@googlegroups.com
The current release of Gears for Safari runs only under OS X, it does not run on the iPhone or Windows.

Best regards,
Jeremy

BlackHawk

Sep 21, 2008, 9:07:54 AM9/21/08
to Gears Users
The question is: I would like to ask to you whether API Google Gears

Jeremy Moskovich

Sep 22, 2008, 1:59:07 PM9/22/08
to gears...@googlegroups.com
The iPhone browser does not currently support third party plug-ins.  Thus we are unable to deliver Gears for the iPhone at present.

brianguy

Sep 22, 2008, 4:10:47 PM9/22/08
to Gears Users
Hi, when I visit my Gears sites via my iPhone, it proposes a Gears
download and then thinks my iPhone is Windows. It then proposes
downloading the Windows version of Gears to my iPhone. I find this
offensive :-) Seems like it would be better to accurately detect the
iPhone, and then present a more accurate message stating that Gears is
not currently supported on the iPhone. Thanks

On Sep 22, 10:59 am, Jeremy Moskovich <playmo...@google.com> wrote:
> The iPhone browser does not currently support third party plug-ins.  Thus we
> are unable to deliver Gears for the iPhone at present.

A1phaGeek

Sep 22, 2008, 12:52:53 PM9/22/08
to Gears Users
I have nothing to do with development, but I can speak to the ability
for gears to work on the iPhone. Currently Safari on iPhone does NOT
allow for plugins. So with out behind the scenes cooperation with
Apple, NO this will not work in the near future. Google could develop
a Gears based app for Apples App Store, but Apple has been notorious
for not allowing competing applications into the App Store. A
"browser based" API would by definition compete with Safari.

If Google and Apple are working on something behind the scenes, I
doubt we will be hearing about it here until the companies make an
official announcement.

Jeremy Moskovich

Sep 23, 2008, 12:25:58 PM9/23/08
to gears...@googlegroups.com