#RIP OS Kenya, Can We Resurrect? Re: [Nairobi GTUG] Introducing OS Kenya

Anthony Nandaa

Feb 28, 2015, 9:48:28 PM2/28/15
to GTUG folks, gdg...@googlegroups.com, nai...@googlegroups.com, GDG Nairobi
Hi folks,

First sorry for cross-posting, there was no better way.

I resurrected this old thread we had 4 years ago. Was a small kid then we just lots of ideas, today things might be a little different (older - yes, wiser - maybe).

Then we said OS Kenya, can we x10 it to Africa?

I'll prefer you read the thread below to get the context, but I know TL;DR.

My main issue is this. I don't know any, even one, African open-source projects i.e. being actively developed by Africans. In short, we Africans (and no one should catch feelings the way we did in 2011) - are not git pushing, period!

I want someone to challenge me with facts. I would love to know that community, so that I can join and start contributing.

In short, there's none! Yes, none that I know.

Now, can we talk about this? Or are we doomed to be forever consumers? Even developers are consumers, you consume APIs, platforms, etc.

To make it clear. I'm not saying we start doing copy-cat (forks) projects like "An African browser that is a Chrome fork", etc. Here in Africa we have specific problems that are unique to us, can't we build something for Africans, by Africans? Do you expect someone to come from SF and build this for us. Chinese are only doing SGR and super highways BTW ;-)

Note: When I say Africans, I mean every race that resides and believes in Africa. And diversity is key to our success. So Indians, Arabs, whites,etc, in Africa.

Rgds, Nandaa
--- Ready to move fast and break things!

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 3:01 PM, Prof Nandaa <profn...@gmail.com> wrote:
I believe you are welcome. However, perhaps our solutions will be based on OSS-related technologies. But again of course your input can come through many other ways than just code. Don't know what the rest would say...

-- Nandaa

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 2:38 PM, John Wesonga <johnw...@gmail.com> wrote:
If i develop in .NET but I provide all my code under creative commons would I be welcome into this "new community"?

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Prof Nandaa <profn...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello all,
I've this small idea with me. I realize in Kenya, we do not have any known Active Open-source Community (I might be wrong, I apologize in advance). Mostly, we just have techies that love Open-source. By active I mean being actively engaged in development of OSS. Could we come up with a formal open source community?

To lay a foundation, I went ahead and created the following accounts. www.twitter.com/oskenya, www.github.com/oskenya.and acquired this domain too, www.oskenya.org.

I'm sure once we lay a firm foundation, we can have all the other people joining in.

I know there are a lot of things we could do. For instance, we can customize other open-source projects for local market. By that too, we'll create employment for techies that will provide support for the clients.

This is just a tip of the iceberg, I would love to hear from you. Feel free to post your comments here, http://prof.deveint.com/2011/08/introducing-os-kenya/

All are welcome!

Regards,

Nandaa.

PS. (Disclaimer: just make sure you are real open-source at heart, you believe in the open-source philosophy to the later. If money is you motivation, there are a lot other ways of making it, go on, I wish you good luck!)

Nandaa Anthony,
Software Architect,
Twitter: @profnandaa
Blog: nandaa.com

--
John Wesonga

Nandaa Anthony,
Software Architect,
Twitter: @profnandaa
Blog: nandaa.com

--
Nandaa Anthony,
Software Architect, Tutor & Mentor.

Anthony Nandaa

Mar 1, 2015, 2:05:35 PM3/1/15
to Bernard Adongo, gdg...@googlegroups.com, nai...@googlegroups.com, GDG Nairobi, GTUG folks

Perfect!

Sent from a not-so-smart device while on the move. Forgive the s/hand and typpos ;-)

On 1 Mar 2015 20:54, "Bernard Adongo" <bernard...@gmail.com> wrote:
Start a project and ask us to join.

Cheers!

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 12:36 PM, shimanyi valentino <vshi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi +Prof en the communities listed,

I find this to be very impressive, I am in fully. The repo looks quite blank; this just proves how right Prof is, we can do something with the knowledge we have. Something for African from Africans.

I propose we find a forum, if none is existing, we can start one and have a brainstorming week of some kind. All ideas to be thrown on the table then we can do a followup session to sample the best ones. How do you guys find that?

Thanks to Hangouts, we can even teleconference.

---
Regards,

Shimanyi Valentino Osoro
Software Developer | Designer
Sisitech Company - Nairobi

Anthony Nandaa

Mar 1, 2015, 2:15:07 PM3/1/15
to Bob Dourandish, GDG Nairobi, nai...@googlegroups.com, gdg...@googlegroups.com, GTUG folks

Hey Bob,
Thanks!

I know you got the point. Didn't mention SF in an exclusivist perspective - after all we all here are using stuff built at the Valley, we owe you guys a lot.

Been trying to provoke my folks...

On email when I was asking, and when I ask guys I usually have this addendum... "and please don't tell me Ushahidi"...

Sure, will loop you in. I'll be prepping a separate mail for parties who expressed interest.

Rgds, Nandaa

Sent from a not-so-smart device while on the move. Forgive the s/hand and typpos ;-)

On 1 Mar 2015 06:29, "Bob Dourandish" <b...@bobdourandish.com> wrote:

Hi there!

I am one of those “SF” people you referred to – and I agree; while I am very interested in Africa, I am not a native and, without a doubt, I do not understand the local issues. However, we can be a good resource if you have a project in mind and might need some help.

Also, take a look at http://www.ushahidi.com/mission/faq/ - it is an amazing open source project that grew out of Kenya. While we now have contributors from all around the world, the core team is in Africa and the company is decidedly African.

Best regards,

Bob

Anthony Nandaa

Mar 1, 2015, 11:42:54 PM3/1/15
to David Lemayian, Bob Dourandish, GTUG folks, gdg...@googlegroups.com, nai...@googlegroups.com, GDG Nairobi

Hey David,
That's impressive! Through this you can pass on very reach experience.

I'll get in touch with you off the chat so we talk moving forward.

@All - will be at the Innovation Forum at KICC; we'll be nice to have a chat on this, if we bump into each other.

Rgds, Nandaa

Sent from a not-so-smart device while on the move. Forgive the s/hand and typpos ;-)

On 2 Mar 2015 00:27, "David Lemayian" <dlem...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hey Anthony,

Thanks for this.

We at Code for Africa actually have all of our projects as open source and actively contribute to international facing repositories. Check out https://github.com/CodeForAfrica and https://github.com/Code4SA.

We aren't perfect at driving community to re-use and commit but some of our early successes include our GotToVote project that started in Kenya and has been picked up in Zimbabwe, Malawi and Ghana. There are also a number of projects we've been able to replicate across the continent and they are for Africans by Africans.

Happy to take the conversation further and look at ways to empower the communities.

Cheers,
David.

David Lemayian

Mobile: +254.721.107650
Skype: David.Lemayian
LinkedInhttp://ke.linkedin.com/in/davidlemayian/
Google+: +DavidLemayian
Twitter: @DavidLemayian
Webwww.davidlemayian.com

Techpreneur . Hiker . Photographer . Hacktivist . Developer . Winner Google ADC Sub-Saharan Africa

--
Visit www.gdgnairobi.info, for more information on GDG Nairobi
---

Anthony Nandaa

Mar 1, 2015, 11:52:02 PM3/1/15
to David Lemayian, Bob Dourandish, nai...@googlegroups.com, gdg...@googlegroups.com, GTUG folks, GDG Nairobi

Ps. Oh yes, at the iHub party next Saturday will be a good place to catch up and talk about these things in details.

Sent from a not-so-smart device while on the move. Forgive the s/hand and typpos ;-)