Ideas for a group project

Steve Dalton

Sep 19, 2012, 4:37:45 AM9/19/12
to gcts-s...@googlegroups.com
Hi All

A few of us brainstormed a few ideas today on the board - along with focus areas that might be applicable to the Coast (where we can talk to lots of customers). Feel free to add more - and cross ones off if they are no-goes. We probably need to pick something by tomorrow for the exercise. So if you have any more now - please speak up.

One thing I forgot to put on the board today is Golf. I actually have an ex-client who has a Gold startup idea which I didn't think was too bad - he is also a VERY keen golfer and knows everyone in local Golf circuit. Anyway - he's still done nothing with the idea so I asked him if he would like to throw it to our group to do our course on...

Anyway - let me know what you think.... similarly if any of you know others that have ideas they would like to "donate"

Steve

--
Steve Dalton, President
Gold Coast Tech Space

Dan Norris

Sep 19, 2012, 5:06:17 AM9/19/12
to gcts-s...@googlegroups.com
Oh I remembered something. Before I started Web Control Room I had a few projects going, one of them was a surfing app that enabled surfers to 'check in' to their local break foursquare style and get updates on the surf conditions from other people who had checked in. I had some indians write the pap, native iOS, probably got 90% of the way done but they were shit. I shelved all of my other projects including this one when I started WCR. You can have the app if it turns out to be an idea you want to pursue. It was called Surfable.

Here are some of the original designs.

Steve Dalton

Sep 19, 2012, 5:19:20 AM9/19/12
to gcts-s...@googlegroups.com
Cool - thanks Dan - we'll add it to the wall tomorrow and maybe those that want to take part can vote on it.

I think the idea is that we just start on something now - it might end up pivotted to something else by the end of the course - or of course we might abandon it and pick up something else.

Can I have an indication on who would actually like to be involved in the group project? I'm totally ok with people working on their own thing if they like.

You only get a vote on what to do on the team one if you are going to be part of the team though.

btw. We might a few more people joining us next week - I will give them the option to be part of the team. After next week though I think we need to close the group off to new people joining.

Steve

Trent Williams

Sep 19, 2012, 5:24:12 AM9/19/12
to gcts-s...@googlegroups.com
I might pull out at this point on the group startup - I better put the time into CM - running behind enough as it is :)

Sep 19, 2012, 5:31:33 AM9/19/12
to gcts-s...@googlegroups.com
No probs at all.

Dan Norris

Sep 19, 2012, 5:56:45 AM9/19/12
to gcts-s...@googlegroups.com
I need to focus right now but you are welcome to the idea / app if it's the one chosen

Sent from my iPad

Steve Dalton

Sep 19, 2012, 6:53:23 AM9/19/12
to gcts-s...@googlegroups.com
No worries Dan. Thanks.

David Tangye

Sep 19, 2012, 9:09:14 AM9/19/12
to gcts-s...@googlegroups.com
My thoughts.
  1. Big ups to Steve for setting this up. It might be the most useful exposure I will have had this century :-).
  2. It looks like a worthwhile exercise for me to go through. I picked up good stuff: the core of the concepts, and like that 90% is based on what I think is generally accepted wisdom, with some clever rewording to give a somewhat fresh focus and emphasis based on latest experience and thinking.
  3. Personally, Wednesday morning is actually difficult for me. I was running late for what I needed to do, and should not still be at the Space at 8:30 Wednesdays.
  4. I am not sure I have time to devote to a "demo" startup. I would rather kill more birds with one stone, to quote a delightfully ugly phrase from last century. I would find it more interesting to model GCTS startup (from this point on to a viable business), especially since this is what some of us are busy trying to do anyway, although I doubt that it is a good candidate as a group subject.

No worries Dan. Thanks.

Steve Dalton

Sep 19, 2012, 5:26:39 PM9/19/12
to gcts-s...@googlegroups.com
Thanks David
You could always do GCTS as your own personal project - we don't have to do the group project - can work on our own things if we want.
Steve

Justin McPherson

Sep 19, 2012, 9:07:50 PM9/19/12
to gcts-s...@googlegroups.com
I'll be out of the building for everyday but wednesday, so I won't vote for any project, they all seem pretty good anyway. Happy to put some work in on wednesdays though.

- Justin

--
Decay is inherent in all component things, work out your salvation with diligence.