Cannot register Canon Pixma Cloud-ready Printer

paulcs...@gmail.com

Jan 2, 2015, 8:44:08 AM1/2/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
I am trying to configure my Pixma cloud-ready printer for Google Cloud printing, but keep getting the following error:

"Cannot connect to the server.  Please wait a while and try again."

I have been getting this error for about a week, now.  I have tried contacting Canon support and they refer me to Google.  I have also tried exhaustive web searches but come up with nothing.  Do you have any possible solutions?

The printer is working with other Canon services, and therefore is connected to the web.

Many thanks.

mgerm...@gmail.com

Jun 9, 2015, 7:23:57 PM6/9/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, paulcs...@gmail.com
About two weeks ago, my brother experienced the same thing with a Pixma MG6220 after a power failure, and has not been able to successfully re-register for cloud printing.  Has had multiple calls with Canon, the ISP, and Google, and still not resolved.  "Cannot connect to the server, please wait a while and try again.".

Today, I had a power failure and cannot re-register my Canon MG6220 printer either.  I get the same error message from the printer after registering the printed URL with Google.

If anyone has the solution, it will be greatly appreciated!  Thank you.

mgerm...@gmail.com

kdLucas

Jun 10, 2015, 1:56:17 PM6/10/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, paulcs...@gmail.com
​Check the printer DNS settings.​

Kelly

Liberating one printer at a time...
kdLucas

jra...@gmail.com

Jun 10, 2015, 2:34:47 PM6/10/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, kdl...@google.com, paulcs...@gmail.com
Kelly-- what am I looking for in the DNS Settings?  My Canon was connected to Cloud Printer for 6 months.  It would read as 'offline' after a day or so, but by requesting that the printer check for queued content, it would fetch the pages and print fine.  That is, until about a week ago, when it stopped being able to connect.  I deregistered it from Cloud Print, and it will not re-register.
Thanks, Jill

kdLucas

Jun 11, 2015, 2:24:53 PM6/11/15
to jra...@gmail.com, gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, Paul Stephens
It depends on what model of printer you have. Under TCP/IPv4 setting you should be able to manually enter a DNS server. You could use a public DNS server like 8.8.8.8 .

Also, check your ECO settings to ensure the printer is not going to sleep. If it goes into a deep sleep it may break the connection needed (XMPP) that keeps it online with Google Cloud Print.

Kelly

Liberating one printer at a time...
kdLucas

cfa...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2015, 7:24:11 PM6/17/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, paulcs...@gmail.com
Same here.  Did you end up returning the printer?

marcfg...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2015, 7:57:17 PM6/17/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, paulcs...@gmail.com
I am also getting this same error on my PIXMA MG4220. Cannon seems unwilling to admit that the problem is theirs. They referred me to google. Does google even have a support number for cloud print. Since it's really only an API that is to be implemented by printer manufacturer i would be surprised if they did. This is odd that all of us are getting same issue starting at around the same time. And it might have even been after a power outage. Mind you it's not the first power outage this printer has survived at it's worked fine till around June the 9th. I hope someone can find something to fix this. At least i'm not the only one affected

the-fool

Jun 22, 2015, 1:22:32 AM6/22/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, kdl...@google.com, paulcs...@gmail.com, jra...@gmail.com

This problem just happened to me last week after THREE+ years of successful cloud print.  Changing the DNS server setting to a public primary and secondary DNS in my MX892 solved it immediately - huzzah!  Many thanks to you, Kelly!

- the-fool

mike....@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2015, 2:18:49 PM6/24/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, paulcs...@gmail.com
Changing both the primary and secondary DNS to 8.8.8.8 fixed it for me. Thanks for the help. My printer is PIXMA 922. Canon has instructions on changing DNS settings on their site.

mgerm...@gmail.com

Jun 25, 2015, 3:02:39 AM6/25/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, paulcs...@gmail.com, mgerm...@gmail.com
Changing the DNS setting in the Canon MG6220 to 8.8.8.8 instantly solved the problem 'cannot communicate with the server...'  It is now happily printing - Thank you for the recommendation!!!  (note: first tried using the 'auto configure' for the DNS setting and it didn't solve the problem for us)

mike

s.j.smi...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2015, 9:57:40 AM6/28/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com
I'm getting this same problem.I tried altering the DNS to 8.8.8.8 as suggested but still didn't get any joy.
I'm on a wireless Land and the printer had worked fine until last week when we started getting this error.

mgerm...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2015, 11:35:25 AM6/28/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, s.j.smi...@gmail.com
After changing the DNS, we re-registered the cloud printer and it worked for us. Possibly the DNS change, along with re-registering, may have made the difference.

s.j.smi...@gmail.com

Jun 28, 2015, 1:25:27 PM6/28/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, s.j.smi...@gmail.com
I had tried deleting and then recreating the cloud settings on the printer but cannot re-register due to getting the error about the server.
As a workaround I am now printing using the Canon Print Service on my phone rather than through my Chromebook and that is working fine.

teresa....@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2015, 3:19:07 AM6/30/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, mgerm...@gmail.com, paulcs...@gmail.com
I just tried doing this, but it didn't fix my issue. Do I need to change both the primary and secondary DNS servers for this to work? 8.8.8.8 *and* 8.8.4.4 ?

Teresa

P Lovell

Jul 1, 2015, 6:31:55 PM7/1/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, paulcs...@gmail.com

I am trying to complete "Google Cloud Print setup" with my Brand new Canon MX922.  I have Wifi connectivity.  I can AirPrint.  I can print over WiFi from Desktop and Laptops (Win7).

When I enter "Cloud settings>Google Cloud Print setup>Register with Google Cloud Print>Yes>English>Perform the authentication process>" it Prints out the QR Code and URL.  I follow link and click Finish Printer Registration on Google cloud print Printer confirmation page.  Then on the printer it says "Did the authentication url print correctly?" which it did, so I answer >Yes

Then it proceeds to a screen "Confirming the authentication" briefly.  Followed by about 4 quick beeps and the Error message: "Cannot connect to the server.  Please wait a while and try again."

My research of the problem lead me to try custom settings for the DNS - I set both to 8.8.8.8 ,problem persisted.  I also tried opening a port on the router firewall TCP:5222 - did not change anything.  I also tried switching to Wired LAN with internet connection - no change.

I have about 20 prints from the cloud print printer registration...  there is no way to try it without a print out.

Any recommendations?

I note: under cloud printing the printer it is trying to register is not MX922 but is showing up as MG8200:

edunc...@gmail.com

Jul 6, 2015, 9:06:36 PM7/6/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, paulcs...@gmail.com
Was happily printing on my MX892 for years as well, and it stopped about a month or so ago.

Just now diagnosed it, and it is the same errors as others mention here: can't connect to server.

I reset the Wifi.
I reset the Google Cloud Print setup.  And tried again, nada.
I deleted the printer from my Google printer settings.  Tried again, and no joy.

I went into the advanced settings and set my DNS manually to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. Reset everything above and did it again, no joy.  Even printed my settings and they are all the same.

-E

edunc...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2015, 11:55:41 AM7/24/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers, paulcs...@gmail.com, edunc...@gmail.com
CANON is aware of the issue!

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/printers_multifunction/office_all_in_one_inkjet_printers/pixma_mx892?pageKeyCode=prdAdvDetail&docId=0901e02480f95e25

I called support and they state that as of July 15th, 2015, Canon is aware that certain Ink Jet printers cannot connect to Google Cloud.  They are investigating it.

I called and was put onto a "Call back, when fixed" list.  I asked if I could be emailed, they said they would be personally calling people who have registered (he said he's logged a little over 200 people for this list).

So, call tech support and say you cannot print to Google Cloud and get on the list.

marcfg...@gmail.com

Jul 24, 2015, 12:29:41 PM7/24/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers
Finally. I wonder if cannon Canada is also aware of this issue I'll have to call them back now. At least they have acknowledge the issue now...

Justin Edwards

Aug 19, 2015, 9:56:14 AM8/19/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers, jra...@gmail.com, paulcs...@gmail.com, kdl...@google.com
Hi Kelly,

When I try to change DNS settings to 8.8.8.8, the only convention it gives me is 000.000.000.000. How do the 8s populate this scheme?

Thanks in advance!

Justin

Justin Edwards

Aug 19, 2015, 10:24:19 AM8/19/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, jra...@gmail.com, paulcs...@gmail.com, kdl...@google.com
So I set the DNS Primary to 8.8.8.8 and Secondary to 8.8.4.4 and am still getting the same message. Any other suggestions?

Justin Edwards

Aug 19, 2015, 10:50:25 AM8/19/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, jra...@gmail.com, paulcs...@gmail.com, kdl...@google.com
fyi...I saw the Canon product advisory linked above.

I also called Canon and they told me the issue is Google changing how their server authenticates usernames and passwords (something along those lines). While no there is no resolution with the issue, the Canon rep advised me to set up as a Classic printer. I did this and it worked. It took just a few seconds to set up, and now I can print from my Chromebook (finally!). If you're printer is registered with Canon, they will email you when the product advisory is updated. Hope this helps.

On Wed, Aug 19, 2015 at 10:24 AM, Justin Edwards <jse...@gmail.com> wrote:
So I set the DNS Primary to 8.8.8.8 and Secondary to 8.8.4.4 and am still getting the same message. Any other suggestions?

Justin Edwards

Aug 25, 2015, 10:57:30 AM8/25/15
to gcp-dev...@googlegroups.com, jra...@gmail.com, paulcs...@gmail.com, kdl...@google.com

Fyi, this seems to be the final advisory for Google Cloud Print and affected Canon printers. I received this today:

August 25th, 2015

This will update the Product Advisory we released concerning this phenomenon on July 15, 2015.

The phenomenon affects the Canon inkjet printers identified below and prevents customers from using them to print from Google Cloud Print™ and/or from registering them with Google Cloud Print. This phenomenon is due to a change in Google server's authentication method.

MG6320, MX522, MX722, and MX922
For the MG6320, MX522, MX722, and MX922 inkjet printers, a firmware upgrade has been developed to resolve the phenomenon. Firmware update instructions are available by clicking on your model number below.

Model NameCurrent Firmware VersionMG63201.5MX5221.090MX7223.010MX9223.010/3.011
MG4220, MG5422, MG6220, MG8220, and MX892

Firmware for the MG4220, MG5422, MG6220, MG8220, and MX892 inkjet printers cannot be upgraded to resolve this phenomenon. Accordingly, please follow these steps to set up your inkjet printer as a Classic Printer and continue using Google Cloud Print function:

1. Connect your printer to your computer either wirelessly or with a USB cable. Power ON the printer.
2. Power ON the computer and connect to the Internet.
3. Navigate to the Google Cloud Print home page and follow the prompts for adding and connecting a Classic Printer.

Thank you,
Customer Support Operations
Canon U.S.A., Inc

Contact Information for Inquiries
Canon Customer Support Center
Phone: 1-800-OK-CANON
1-800-652-2666
TDD: 1-866-251-3752
Email: carec...@cits.canon.com
For additional support options: usa.canon.com/support

Jamie Kyte

Aug 31, 2015, 8:12:36 AM8/31/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers, jra...@gmail.com, paulcs...@gmail.com, kdl...@google.com
I have an MX925, been trying all day to connect to the cloud service but kept getting a server error.

I downloaded new firmware and it sorted everything out. You can download the firmware by going MENU >  SETTINGS > DEVICE SETTINGS > FIRMWARE UPDATE

Eric Duncan

Sep 14, 2015, 3:45:12 PM9/14/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers, jra...@gmail.com, paulcs...@gmail.com, kdl...@google.com
FYI, I can confirm this across two printers.

As I posted earlier, Canon posted an advisory for all printers affected.

I had the MX892; and as you can read in the advisory, the MX892 was not updatable to newer firmware that would fix this.

We purchased ours right at 12 months ago.  So, this was unacceptable to me.

I called Canon and explained that core reason we purchased this print was for the Google Cloud printing as that's all we use it for on 6 different Android devices.  I do print from my OSX laptop sometimes, but not often.  The "resolution" they give for MX892 owners was to connect it to a PC and share the printer on the local network.  Well, that does not work for my situation.

I demanded an upgrade to the MX922.  It had the same feature list (less the memory card reader we "do" use, and rear paper feeder for Rolled paper we "do" use).

At first, the representative took the hardline - stating Canon's policy is to not upgrade/swap a user because of a "Feature that was advertised no longer works.  Especially through no fault of our own."  He kept mentioning how this was Google's fault.  I kept telling him that's unacceptable, as it was a feature I paid for - and use exclusively.

Asked to speak to a manager.  Manager told me the same, but offered me two choices:

1) If you are a "Canon Loyalist Member" (or whatever paid support membership thing they offer is called), "then you can receive a discount on purchasing a new printer."  I asked him what's the discount.  It had to be less than $50 out of my pocket to upgrade, or I am not entertaining that since this was my first Canon product.  His answer, "It would be a lot more than $50 out of your pocket for the MX922 with the membership."

2) Option 2 was presented as, "I can escalate this to Corporate if you like.  They will review the case; but, I cannot speak for what they offer."

I asked for option 2, since I was out of options.  I was immediately transferred and say on a short hold while the tech explained the situation.

The very nice man who came on, Chris I think was his name, said, "I only have 1 question sit.  Could you verify the date of purchase?"  I verified it at about 13 months ago.

The printer has only a 1 year warranty.

Chris said, "Ok.  We'll be happy to upgrade you to the MX922.  Give me your name and address..." etc.

Got the MX922, upgraded the firmware (straight from the Printer's options over Wifi!  AWESOME!  No need for PC!!!).  Joined it to Google Cloud Printing and done!

So... If you have a model that is not upgradable, and you purchased it within the last year, this may be a viable option.

Regards,
Eric

Ps, I am only posting this year as I believe as a consumer you are entitled to certain rights.  If you purchased a product, and it was advertised to have X feature, they must support X feature - at least in Warranty timeframes.  I debated even making this post, because Canon treated me properly.  But, i am afraid of others being turned away when they do have the right to upgrade for something "of equal or better value" to support X feature.

Mike Germano

Sep 14, 2015, 4:14:43 PM9/14/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers, jra...@gmail.com, paulcs...@gmail.com, kdl...@google.com
 have an MG6220, also in the same group of models that stopped cloud printing with no firmware upgrade to resolve the issue.

I've had my model MG6220 over a year (out of factory warranty) and it used to cloud print fine before June 2015. After Canon's Customer Loyalty department offered to sell me a new replacement printer, I emailed Canon Customer Care on 9/11/15 and got a very good tech with a work-around.  I could not find this work-around anywhere else, including the Canon site.

I've been using it and it works well.  A couple of extra button steps when I Cloud print, but it's not bad and has been working consistently.  See below:

Thank you for contacting Canon product support regarding the Google Cloud Print issues with the PIXMA MG6220.

I understand you are unable to print from your Chromebook and Android device via Google Cloud Print. I understand this is frustrating to have it work one way previously, and then change so that it does not. Google Cloud Print is a Beta service, and as such, is constantly having changes made to the service that have affected usage and reliability. Recently, they applied a significant security protocol update that essentially changed how their servers authenticated registered units. In order to make our printers fully compatible again, a firmware update would be required. You noted that this particular unit, along with several others, are not going to receive a firmware update. This is due to the age and technical limitations of the models; they are physically unable to be updated to the new standard.

Now, that is not to say that you are without options. Is the printer still registered, but listed as offline? If so, you can select the offline unit and select print, putting a job in the queue. Once the job is queued, you can then manually pull queued jobs from the Google Cloud Print server using the 'Start Cloud Print" selection from the operation panel. The instructions on how to do so are listed below.

1. Confirm that the printer is turned on.

2. In the [HOME] screen, select [Special Print].

3. Select [Start Cloud Print], and touch the OK button.

4. The message is displayed asking if you would like to connect to the server to check for the print data.
Select [Yes] using the up or down cursor button, and touch the OK button.

5. When print data exists, it will be received and printed by the printer.

Next, you mentioned that you were using Google Cloud Print to print from your Android device. Do you know what version of Android you have? Depending on the version, you may be able to use the Canon Print Service or the Canon Print Inkjet/Selphy app to print from your phone instead. You should be able to check the Android version from your Settings app, under a section that will say something along the lines of  'About this Device.' If you reply with the version of Android your phone is running I'd be happy to give you instructions on how to utilize the wireless printing functionality without using Google Cloud Print.

I hope this information is helpful to you.  Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

irish trinidad

Oct 30, 2015, 2:02:25 AM10/30/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers, paulcs...@gmail.com
Hi. After I got the same message, I updated the firmware on the printer and it allowed me to register to google cloud print.

I hope this helps.

Jacob Marble

Nov 5, 2015, 3:02:20 PM11/5/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers, paulcs...@gmail.com
Have you updated the firmware recently? Some Pixma printers broke
recently, and Canon released a firmware that fixed the issue.
Jacob
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gcp-developers/876a851b-b669-4c60-8403-d923f193ff69%40googlegroups.com.

Aman Virk

Nov 9, 2015, 10:18:30 PM11/9/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers, paulcs...@gmail.com

Assign the printer a static IP address ( Wireless Printer Off-line Problems )

For more help , visit http://www.techtoolsweb.com/printer/wireless-printer-of...
or http://www.techtoolsweb.com/

An IP address is an Internet network address that the computer can use to communicate with the printer. Enter a static IP address to make sure that the wireless connection remains stable. Follow these steps to assign the printer a static IP address.

o    Get the printer IP address.

o    Press the Wireless button on the printer control panel to view the network settings.

o    Access the Network menu on the printer control panel.

o    Print a Network Configuration Page or Wireless Test Report page.

o    Once you have the printer’s IP address, open a new web browser window or tab.

o    Type the IP address in your web browser’s address bar, and then press Enter.

Make sure that you type the IP address into the browser’s address box. If you type it into a tool bar search box, the EWS will not open.

The Embedded Web Server (EWS) for the printer opens and confirms that the printer is on the same network as the computer

For more help , visit http://www.techtoolsweb.com/printer/wireless-printer-of...
or http://www.techtoolsweb.com/

Aman Virk

Nov 9, 2015, 10:18:42 PM11/9/15
to Google Cloud Print Developers, paulcs...@gmail.com

Joey Smith

Dec 24, 2016, 2:58:00 PM12/24/16
to Google Cloud Print Developers, jra...@gmail.com, paulcs...@gmail.com, kdl...@google.com
This worked for me! Update printer Firmware... should have thought of that.  Thanks!