Unable to setup squid3 proxy on Google Compute Engine (Ubuntu instance)

Chuong Hoang

Sep 20, 2016, 10:11:39 AM9/20/16
to gce-discussion

Been working on this for 2 days and still cannot find the way out :(

Below is my setup for testing, which basically supports all http_access through port 8888

-squid.conf file:

http_port 8888
http_access allow all

-Open port 8888 for incoming HTTP data by gcloud command (which returned "allowed")

gcloud compute firewall-rules create allow-tcp --description "Incoming-http-allowed." --allow tcp:8888 --format json

With the setup above, I can telnet to the IP with port 8888. However, when querying to some http links with browser (Safari/Chrome), I always get this message

The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL: http://google.com/

Access Denied.

Access control configuration prevents your request from being allowed at this time. Please contact your service provider if you feel this is incorrect.

Your cache administrator is webmaster.
  • I also tried other ports (3128, 8000, 80) but no help
  • I also tried to force the port to listen IPv4 addresses with something like http_port 0.0.0.0:8888 and still not working

Someone please help me out of this mess :( Much appreciated!

P/S: I connect to the squid proxy though my Macbook (OS Sierra) with Web Proxy (HTTP) enabled in Network Preferences.

Dan Watkins

Sep 20, 2016, 12:15:34 PM9/20/16
to Chuong Hoang, gce-discussion
Hi Chuong,

On 20/09/16 10:34, Chuong Hoang wrote:
> With the setup above, I can telnet to the IP with port 8888. However,
> when querying to some http links with browser (Safari/Chrome), I always
> get this message
>
> |The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL:
> http://google.com/ Access Denied. Access control configuration prevents
> your request from being allowed at this time. Please contact your
> service provider if you feel this is incorrect. Your cache administrator
> is webmaster. |
>
> * I also tried other ports (3128, 8000, 80) but no help
> * I also tried to force the port to listen IPv4 addresses with
> something like |http_port 0.0.0.0:8888| and still not working
>
> Someone please help me out of this mess :( Much appreciated!

This error looks like it's _from_ Squid. So you're making it through
the GCE firewall, but then your squid proxy is not configured to proxy
www.google.com. So you'll want to look in to how to configure squid to
do that.

Hope this helps,

Dan