Bandwidth calculation

Samoa yovan

Sep 15, 2016, 9:06:09 AM9/15/16
to gce-discussion
Dear All,
I'm new to google compute. I have created a VM with 7.5gb ram,2 cores.

Will google calculate the bandwidth utilization seperately for my usage or is it fixed if I take a dedicated VM for a month or a couple of months?

Thanks.

Matt Hite

Sep 15, 2016, 12:26:52 PM9/15/16
to Samoa yovan, gce-discussion
You might want to check out the pricing calculator:

You are charged strictly for egress traffic. There are no fees for instance to instance bandwidth within a zone; leaving a zone incurs charges. Depending on if it is to another zone in a region, to another GCE region, or the Internet, rates vary.

-M

--
© 2016 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Compute Engine Discussion Google Group (gce-discussion@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the Google Compute Engine community and the Google Compute Engine Team.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gce-discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gce-discussion/5e25b220-7252-40c7-a8f9-c37fffa8872d%40googlegroups.com.

Faizan (Google Cloud Support)

Sep 15, 2016, 1:46:27 PM9/15/16
to gce-dis...@googlegroups.com
Samoa,

Pricing calculator as mentioned by Matt is a good way of estimating the cost for GCE instance. For detailed pricing information you can refer to GCE pricing link[1].

I hope that helps.

Faizan

Godwin Sam Josh

Faizan (Google Cloud Support)

Sep 20, 2016, 5:59:11 PM9/20/16
to gce-discussion, li...@beatmixed.com
Hello Godwin,

As general guidelines, you can use Google Compute Engine firewall to restrict incoming traffic [1]. If you wish to control outgoing traffic you can set up iptables or any 3rd party firewall in your VM [2]. You must also make sure your application is secured. i.e if you have port 80 opened and your application is not secured, a malicious attacker could run some code on your server. Certain languages like Java are run on the server by a client request. If the application is not shield, the server could run malicious code. I also would recommend to install Cloud monitoring tool [3]. You can configure alerts to be sent to your email in case egress traffic raised dramatically.

I hope that helps.

Faizan