I am out of 120 day for RDP and need to buy and upgrade the licence.

Shastha F

Jun 21, 2016, 3:45:13 PM6/21/16
to gce-discussion
My RDP is not working as it is over 120 days. I want to buy RDP licence and make my instance working. Any feedback on how I can do this?

I get error, RDP is disconnected because there are not Remote desktop license servers. How do I enable this server.

Paul Nash

Jun 22, 2016, 12:26:44 PM6/22/16
to Shastha F, gce-discussion
Hi Shastha,

While this is not an official interpretation and you should seek your own legal guidance regarding Microsoft licensing, I can say that under the SPLA rights that Google operates with, Microsoft generally allows two RDS users to access the server for testing, maintenance, and administrative purposes. Additional users need to have proper RDS Server Access Licenses. Google does not currently sell these licenses directly or manage license servers for them, though perhaps we will at a future date.

If you are trying to host multiple users or server desktops using Windows Server, you will need to work with another source to obtain and administer your RDS licenses and any other licenses (Office? other?) you might require for your use case. If you are merely trying to connect to the Server for one of the above reasons, and don't expect there would be anyone else connected, then perhaps the server "thinks" it has other connections in progress somehow?

Hope this helps,
-Paul

--
© 2016 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Compute Engine Discussion Google Group (gce-dis...@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the Google Compute Engine community and the Google Compute Engine Team.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gce-discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gce-discussion/ae8bbb9b-766a-4ccf-b4b4-67027b1a0dac%40googlegroups.com.

Paul R. Nash | Product Manager, Compute Engine | paul...@google.com | 206-876-1620

Shastha F

Jun 25, 2016, 2:30:35 PM6/25/16
to Paul Nash, gce-discussion
then perhaps the server "thinks" it has other connections in progress somehow?

This seems to be happening and I dont think there are any other connections open.  Is there an option from console to kill all the connections?

Kamran (Google Cloud Support)

Jun 25, 2016, 7:47:37 PM6/25/16
to gce-dis...@googlegroups.com, paul...@google.com

Hello Shastha,

As you've installed RD Session Host role service on your Windows server VM, it would be useful to know that there is a licensing grace period (usually 120 days) during which no license server is required, after the grace period ends clients must have a valid RDS CAL issued by a license server before they can log on to an RD Session Host server. For more information please visit this Microsoft TechNet article.

In your case and for troubleshooting purpose, instead of starting Remote Desktop Connection from the Start menu, you can start it from the search box, from the Run dialog box, or from a command line by typing mstsc /admin command. Running mstsc /admin will do the following (for the current connection only) and let you to get access to your Windows VM to fix the issue.

  • Disable Remote Desktop Services client access licensing
  • Disable time zone redirection
  • Disable RD Connection Broker redirection
  • Disable Remote Desktop Easy Print
  • Disables Plug and Play device redirection for this connection only.
  • Changes the remote session theme to Windows Classic View (if it's available) for this connection only.
  • etc...

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 9:26 AM, Paul Nash <paul...@google.com> wrote:
[...]

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Compute Engine Discussion Google Group (gce-discussion@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the Google Compute Engine community and the Google Compute Engine Team.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gce-discussion" group.