cos-stable-59-9460-64-0 docker image file path length issue

Brian Rosner

Aug 18, 2017, 1:26:47 PM8/18/17
to gce-discussion
My team recently updated our GKE cluster to 1.6.8 from 1.5.6. We discovered an image was not properly running. After digging into the issue we found that file paths in the Docker image greater than 100 chars are not extracted into the container file system. This led us to finding out this is a bug in Go 1.8, https://github.com/golang/go/issues/21005. It looks to have been patched, but I have not tested it nor do I know when it'll be released.

The COS image with this bug is cos-stable-59-9460-64-0. This image has a Docker binary compiled with go1.8.1. I am not sure which version the 1.5.6 cluster ran, but I am sure anything less than 1.8 worked fine. I isolated to cos-stable-58-9334-74-0 as the last image with a <go1.8 build of Docker. Ideally we revert back to the working COS, but I wanted to report this and ask for advice on possible solutions for GKE.

Carlos (Cloud Platform Support)

Aug 18, 2017, 3:39:32 PM8/18/17
to gce-discussion
Hi Brian,

I would suggest posting this issue on Google groups GKE and Kubernetes discussion forum. The community there will be in a better position to provide you feedback.